OTTAWA, April 15, 2019 /CNW/ - The Honourable David Lametti, Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, today issued the following statement on the retirement of the Honourable Clément Gascon, puisne Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada.
"On behalf of all Canadians, I wish to express my gratitude to Justice Clément Gascon for his service on the Supreme Court of Canada over the last five years."
"As a dedicated and gifted member of the judiciary since 2002, serving first on the Quebec Superior Court and Quebec Court of Appeal, Justice Gascon has made important contributions to the administration of justice and to building public confidence in the excellence of our judiciary. He has served Quebecers and all Canadians with great distinction."
"Justice Gascon has demonstrated a deep devotion both to the law and to justice. The Supreme Court was enriched by his depth of expertise, hard work, collegiality and both the seriousness and humility with which he approached the Court's enormous responsibilities. He was also a model of civility, treating parties and counsel appearing before him with utmost respect."
"Throughout his career, Justice Gascon has made it a priority to instill his passion for the law and commitment to justice in others. Whether in delivering seminars to newly appointed judges, teaching at the Université du Québec à Montréal, McGill University and Barreau du Québec, or co-authoring books and articles on various areas of the law, Justice Gascon has made a lasting impact on Canada's legal system and community. He testified in actions and in words to the richness that bijuralism brings to Canada's legal tradition."
"I wish the very best to Justice Gascon and his family and thank him for his service."
- Justice Clément Gascon was appointed to the Supreme Court of Canada in 2014. Previously, he had served on the Quebec Superior Court from 2002 to 2012, and on the Quebec Court of Appeal from 2012 to 2014. As a judge he participated in numerous legal education seminars for judges.
- Prior to his appointment to the bench, Justice Gascon practiced law in Montreal for 21 years and taught business law, labour law and construction law at the Université du Québec à Montréal, at McGill University and at the Barreau du Québec. He was called to the Quebec Bar in 1982.
- Announcements regarding the process to appoint a new Justice to the Supreme Court of Canada will be made in due course.
- Follow the Department of Justice Canada on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.
- Follow Minister Lametti on Twitter: @MinJusticeEn.
- Subscribe to receive our news releases and more via RSS feeds. For more information or to subscribe, visit http://justice.gc.ca/eng/news-nouv/rss.html
SOURCE Department of Justice Canada
For further information: media may contact: Célia Canon, Communications Advisor, Office of the Minister of Justice, 613-992-4621; Media Relations, Department of Justice Canada, 613-957-4207, [email protected]