OTTAWA, ON, June 30, 2020 /CNW/ - In lieu of an in-person update to the media, Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada's Chief Public Health Officer, issued the following statement today:
"There have been 103,918 cases, including 8,566 deaths. 65% of people have now recovered. Labs across Canada have tested over 2,721,685 people for COVID-19 to date. Over the past week, an average of 37,000 people were tested daily, with 1% testing positive. These numbers change quickly and are updated daily in the evenings on Canada.ca/coronavirus.
Although cases of COVID-19 continue to decline in Canada, the increasing number of infections in many other countries is a reminder of how quickly things can change, and how quickly this virus can spread.
As Canadians continue to live with the reality of a global pandemic, we must all remain vigilant. By observing public health measures and avoiding exposure risks, we can keep COVID-19 under control. This includes:
- Staying home if you are sick;
- Keeping a two-metre distance from others and wearing a non-medical mask or face covering when you can't;
- To learn more about how to wear a non-medical mask, please visit Canada.ca/coronavirus.
- Washing your hands frequently and carrying hand sanitizer with you;
- Avoiding touching potentially contaminated surfaces and high touch objects; and
- Avoiding high risk situations such as closed spaces, crowded places and close contact.
Because COVID-19 activity and precautions are not the same everywhere in the country, be sure to also consult with and follow the advice of the local public health authority where you live.
As we are all aware, our seniors and others at high risk for COVID-19 severe outcomes have been hardest hit during this crisis. We all have a responsibility to do everything in our power to protect those most at risk from the virus. We can't prevent every death but we must prevent every death we can."
SOURCE Public Health Agency of Canada
For further information: Contacts, Media Relations, Public Health Agency of Canada, 613-957-2983, [email protected]