OTTAWA, Feb. 28, 2012 /CNW/ - Arts and culture enrich the lives of all Canadians and strengthen our communities, not to mention our economy. The men and women who dedicate themselves to the arts play an essential role in our society. They are a source of pride and inspiration, and they are to be congratulated on their achievements.
Every year, the Governor General's Awards in Visual and Media Arts celebrate the outstanding work of Canadians in a wide range of disciplines, including visual arts, architecture, video, independent film, audio, new media, and applied arts. I am pleased to congratulate the recipients of the 2012 Awards:
- Margaret Dragu, performance artist
- Geoffrey James, photographer
- Charles Lewton-Brain, artist-goldsmith
- Ron Martin, visual artist
- Diana Nemiroff, art gallery director and curator
- Jan Peacock, visual artist - media and installation
- Royden Rabinowitch, sculptor
- Jana Sterbak, visual artist
On behalf of the Government of Canada, I would like to commend the Canada Council for the Arts, which presents these prestigious annual awards. I applaud the Canadian artists who have distinguished themselves through the outstanding quality of their works and the extent of their commitment to arts and culture in Canada.
For further information:
(media only), please contact:
Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage
and Official Languages