MONTREAL, March 14, 2013 /CNW Telbec/ - Standard Life Investments, the global fund manager, today announced that its third party assets under management (AUM) now account for over 50% of its total assets under management. Standard Life Investments was launched in November 1998 with total AUM of £62.7bn (USD104.5bn, CAD161.5bn, AUD163.7bn, HKD813.2bn) of which £5.9bn (USD9.8bn, CAD15.2bn, AUD15.4bn, HKD76.5bn), 9.4%, was third party money.
Keith Skeoch, CEO, Standard Life Investments said:
"To have achieved this milestone in such a relatively short length of time shows the ongoing trust that clients have placed in Standard Life Investments' ability to provide investment solutions, strong performance, and high levels of client service.
"This milestone reflects the sustainable global growth of Standard Life Investments' investment proposition. It comes on the back of a very strong set of results in 2012 which showed that 62% of net flows came from outside the UK, including £1.8bn (€2.2bn, USD2.9bn, CAD2.9bn, AUD2.8bn, HKD22.7bn) from the US.
"Clients are increasingly recognising the benefits of managers who take a long term approach to investing and provide investment solutions designed to meet their requirements. I am confident that Standard Life Investments will continue its global growth and am committed to providing clients with a range of innovative investment solutions designed to meet their investment goals."
Highlights of Standard Life Investments' performance in 2012 include:
- Earnings before interest and tax (EBIT) up 15% to a record £145m (€178.8m, USD235.7m, CAD234.7m, AUD227.0m, HKD1826.9m) (2011: £126m, €150.8m, USD195.8m, CAD199.4m, AUD191.0m, HKD1520.8m)
- Worldwide third party sales up 42% to £6.1bn (€7.5bn, USD9.9bn, CAD9.9bn, AUD9.6bn, HKD76.9bn (2011: £4.3bn, €5.1bn, USD6.7bn, CAD6.8bn, AUD6.5bn, HKD51.9bn)
- Retention rates were some of the highest in the industry at just 14%* of opening AUM
- 44% of third party sales generated from strategic partners like: John Hancock (US), HDFC Asset Management (India), Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Bank (Japan) and Standard Life
- Third party AUM up 16% to a record £83.0bn (€102.3bn, USD134.9bn, CAD134.3bn, AUD130.0bn, HKD1045.7bn) (2011: £71.8bn, €86.0bn, USD111.6bn, CAD113.6bn, AUD108.8bn, HKD866.6bn)
- Total AUM up 8% to a record £167.7bn (€206.8bn, USD272.6bn, CAD271.4bn, AUD262.6bn, HKD2112.9bn) (2011: £154.9bn, €185.4bn, USD240.7bn, CAD245.1bn, AUD234.8bn, HKD1869.7bn)
- Strong investment performance with 91% of funds over one year and 81% over three year time periods outperforming their benchmark
- Strong product development pipeline
* excluding the outflow of £1.8bn (€2.2bn, USD2.9bn, CAD2.9bn, AUD2.8bn, HKD22.7bn) relating to the loss of a single low yield mandate following a client's change of pension scheme strategy
Commenting on Standard Life Investments' 2012 results Keith Skeoch said:
"Standard Life Investments produced very strong results in 2012, delivering record EBIT, record profit, record year end third party aum and record total aum. This achievement demonstrates client confidence in our focus on change philosophy, that drives our investment process, and the team based approach adopted by Standard Life Investments.
"While 2013 will continue to be challenging with global economies facing many uncertainties, I firmly believe that Standard Life Investments has the performance, products and people to enable our clients to prosper."
NOTES TO EDITORS:
1. With assets under management of £167.7bn (€206.8bn, USD272.6bn, CAD271.4bn, AUD262.6bn, HKD2112.9bn), Standard Life Investments is one of Europe's major investment houses (as at 31.12.12).
2. Standard Life Investments was launched as an investment management company in 1998. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of Standard Life Investments (Holdings) Limited, which in turn is a wholly owned subsidiary of Standard Life plc.
3. Headquartered in Edinburgh, Standard Life Investments' maintains offices in a number of locations around the globe including Boston, Hong Kong, London, Beijing, Montreal, Sydney, Dublin, Paris and Seoul. In addition, we have close relationships with leading domestic players in Asia, including HFDC Asset Management in India and Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Bank in Japan.
4. Past performance is not a guide to future returns and you may get back less than you invested.
5. Capital return over the period 31 December 2011 to 31 December 2012, they are in sterling and include reinvestment of income:
|FTSE All Share||8.24%|
|S&P 500 Comp||8.43%|
|FTSE World Europe Ex UK||13.15%|
|MSCI Global Equity Index||8.21%|
6. Total funds under management table:
|GBP||By Region||31/12/12 (bn)||31/12/11 (bn)||By Asset Class||31/12/12 (bn)||31/12/11 (bn)|
|EUR||By Region||31/12/12 (bn)||31/12/11 (bn)||By Asset Class||31/12/12 (bn)||31/12/11 (bn)|
|USD||By Region||31/12/12 (bn)||31/12/11 (bn)||By Asset Class||31/12/12 (bn)||31/12/11 (bn)|
|CAD||By Region||31/12/12 (bn)||31/12/11 (bn)||By Asset Class||31/12/12 (bn)||31/12/11 (bn)|
|AUD||By Region||31/12/12 (bn)||31/12/11 (bn)||By Asset Class||31/12/12 (bn)||31/12/11 (bn)|
|HKD||By Region||31/12/12 (bn)||31/12/11 (bn)||By Asset Class||31/12/12 (bn)||31/12/11 (bn)|
SOURCE: STANDARD LIFE INVESTMENTS INC.
For further information:
Brian Simmons, Press Manager, Standard Life Investments, +44 (0)131 245 2750
Yvonne Soulsby, Press Manager, Standard Life Investments, +44 (0) 131 245 3610
To access our virtual press office, please click on the link below: