-10 hours of coverage across five platforms, featuring breaking news, analysis, scoops, insights and reaction all Trade Deadline Day long-
-Best-in-class team of analysts, commentators and reporters includes four Stanley Cup Champions, four former NHL GMs, six former NHL players and Hockey Hall of Fame member-
- HOCKEY CENTRAL Trade Deadline Preview Show sets the stage for the big day on Sunday, Feb. 26 -
TORONTO, Feb. 21, 2012 /CNW/ - It's one of the biggest events on the NHL calendar and all eyes and ears will be on Sportsnet's HOCKEY CENTRAL Trade Deadline Presented by Coors Light as the multiplatform sports media brand fuels fans with the country's most comprehensive and informative NHL Trade Deadline coverage - across television, radio, digital, mobile and print - on Monday, Feb. 27.
Sportsnet's marquee 10-hour HOCKEY CENTRAL Trade Deadline broadcast kicks off Monday, Feb. 27 at 8 a.m. ET / 5 a.m. PT on Sportsnet East, Ontario, West and Pacific, led by a world-class team of insiders, analysts, commentators and reporters. HOCKEY CENTRAL Trade Deadline will be streamed live in its entirety at sportsnet.ca on desktop, mobile and tablet, as well as via the Sportsnet HOCKEY CENTRAL iPad app and within Greg Wyshynski's Puck Daddy blog on Yahoo! Sports. Fans can also connect to all things Trade Deadline at Sportsnet by listening to Sportsnet 590 The Fan and Sportsnet 960 The Fan, following Sportsnet's personalities on Twitter, joining Sportsnet's fan page on Facebook and checking out the February 27 issue of Sportsnet magazine.
Below are the key details of Sportsnet's HOCKEY CENTRAL Trade Deadline coverage on all platforms:
Sportsnet's HOCKEY CENTRAL Trade Deadline team boasts the most knowledgeable and engaging personalities in hockey today. From Stanley Cup Champions, to NHL GMs, coaches, executives, players and award-winning journalists who've seen it, done it and been there when it comes to all things trade-related, Sportsnet's star-studded roster features:
- Four former NHL GMs (Pat Quinn - Vancouver Canucks and Toronto Maple Leafs; Doug MacLean - Columbus Blue Jackets; Neil Smith - New York Rangers and New York Islanders; and Brian Lawton - Tampa Bay Lightning)
- Four Stanley Cup Champions with a total of five Stanley Cup Rings (Nick Kypreos - NYR '94; Neil Smith - NYR '94; Brad May - ANA '07; and Marty McSorley - EDM '87, '88)
- Six former NHL players (Kypreos, Lawton, McSorley, Quinn, May and Garry Valk)
- Three former NHL Team Presidents and Head Coaches (Quinn, MacLean and Smith)
- Two former NHL Coaches (Quinn and MacLean)
- 2002 Olympic Games Gold Medallist, Men's Ice Hockey, Canada (Quinn)
- Hockey Hall of Fame Member (Scott Morrison - '06 Elmer Ferguson Memorial Award)
- Five renowned and award-winning journalists: Morrison, Damien Cox, Stephen Brunt, Mark Spector and Bruce Garrioch
In total, 30 of Canada's best hockey experts, sports journalists, reporters and hosts will deliver live breaking news, rumours, scoops, behind-the-scenes reports and instant 360° analysis of each transaction throughout Sportsnet's 10-hour program:
- Main Set Panel: Host Daren Millard quarterbacks the entire day and will be joined by McSorley, Cox and Billy Jaffe
- Breaking News Panel: Host Christine Simpson works alongside expert insiders Kypreos, Morrison, Garrioch, Spector and John Shannon
- Strategy Room: Host Jeff Marek analyzes all of the trades with former NHL GMs Quinn, MacLean, Lawton and Smith
- Pacific Panel: Host Don Taylor and analysts Valk and May talk all things Vancouver Canucks and provide analysis from a western perspective
- Reporters Panel: Bob McCown, Cox and Brunt break it all down, using their distinctive style, viewpoints and opinions
- Smart Board Panel: Host Brad Fay checks the pulse of the digital nation, reviewing social media trends and online chatter throughout the day. Greg Wyshynski - better known to Yahoo! Sports and hockey bloggers as Puckdaddy - joins Fay along with podcast partner Jeff Marek for Marek vs Wyshynski hits throughout the day
- Connected Updates: Hazel Mae provides hourly updates and recaps from Sportsnet's Connected newsroom
- The following reporters will be on-location with each Canadian NHL team:
- Vancouver Canucks: Dan Murphy and Craig MacEwen (reporting from Phoenix)
- Calgary Flames: Roger Millions
- Edmonton Oilers and Winnipeg Jets: Ryan Leslie and Gene Principe (reporting from Winnipeg)
- Ottawa Senators: Ian Mendes (in Ottawa to start the day, then travels to Boston with the team)
- Toronto Maple Leafs: Barry Davis; Tony Ambrogio will provide reports from Leafs GM Brian Burke and Leafs Senior Vice-President of Hockey Operations Dave Nonis
- Montreal Canadiens: Louis Jean (reporting from Florida)
HOCKEY CENTRAL Trade Deadline coverage will also feature special look-ins to select Canadian NHL Team "situation rooms" with live coverage of team management deliberating trade possibilities and each Canadian team's post-trade deadline press conferences. Immediately following HOCKEY CENTRAL Trade Deadline, Hazel Mae hosts a one-hour edition of Sportsnet Connected to recap all the day's big trades at 6 p.m. ET / 3 p.m. PT.
From now through to NHL Trade Deadline Day and beyond, Sportsnet keeps fans on top of all of the latest trades, reactions and outcomes on all five platforms, and also preps fans for the big day with the HOCKEY CENTRAL Trade Deadline preview show on Sunday, Feb. 26 at 9 p.m. local (Sportsnet East, Ontario, West and Pacific), featuring HOCKEY CENTRAL Trade Deadline panelists and reports from around the NHL.
Digital and Mobile - sportsnet.ca, Sportsnet Mobile and HOCKEY CENTRAL app on iPad and Playbook
Sportsnet's digital platforms provide wall-to-wall coverage of HOCKEY CENTRAL Trade Deadline for fans at home, at work and on the go, including live streaming of the 10-hour broadcast on desktop, mobile and tablet, and via the HOCKEY CENTRAL app on iPad and Playbook. In addition, sportsnet.ca provides the following features to keep fans in the know on Trade Deadline Day:
- Trade Deadline Live - the hub of all trade deadline online coverage including live reports utilizing ScribbleLive's live article technology and fan chats
- Trade Tracker - provides a detailed look at all confirmed trades, links to stories with details of the deals and real-time fan polling of which team won each trade
- Twitter Tradar - keeps fans on top of all hockey-related Twitter trends throughout the day by showing a heatmap of tweets about NHL teams, players and GMs. At the end of Trade Deadline Day, the heatmap will be presented in a timeline movie, allowing fans to re-live the day through the filter of social media
- Trade Maker - a tool available only to sportsnet.ca, Trade Maker uses proprietary intelligence and stats from PowerScout Hockey and enables users to track actual trades or create their own, evaluating the outcome by measuring the impact on team stats and salary cap
- Fan Fuel Polls - provides a single destination for Fan Fuel contributors to voice their opinion
Radio - Sportsnet 590 THE FAN and Sportsnet 960 THE FAN
Sportsnet 590 THE FAN is all Trade Deadline, all the time on Monday, Feb. 27. Brady and Lang in the Morning set the stage for the day from 5:30 - 9 a.m. ET, followed by the Jeff Blair show from 9 a.m. - 12 noon ET. Two of hockey's top reporters, Ryan Dixon of Sportsnet magazine and Mike Zeisberger from the Toronto Sun join Blair live in studio.
Hockey Central @ Noon simulcasts Sportsnet's HOCKEY CENTRAL Trade Deadline coverage, while Tim and Sid add their twisted take on the day starting at 1 p.m. ET with frequent studio visits from Sportsnet's hockey experts. Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown at 4 p.m. ET wraps up the day's activities with interviews and insight from the most prominent movers and shakers of NHL Trade Deadline Day. Throughout the day, Sportsnet 590 THE FAN will break into regular programming immediately with all new trade news and will update all trades from the Coors Light Trade Deadline Desk every 20 minutes.
Sportsnet 960 THE FAN's extensive coverage kicks off at 6 a.m. MT with Dean "Boomer" Molberg, former Calgary Flame Rhett Warrener and Andrew Walker. Throughout the day, Sportsnet 960 THE FAN will simulcast portions of HOCKEY CENTRAL Trade Deadline from Toronto, with special guest host Eric Francis rounding out the afternoon. Capping off Trade Deadline Day on Sportsnet 960 THE FAN is the Calgary Flames vs. St. Louis Blues showdown at 7 p.m. MT.
Print - Sportsnet magazine
The February 27 issue of Sportsnet magazine, on newsstands now, provides an ultimate six-page guide on who is available, who will be active and how Trade Deadline Day all goes down. Two NHL General Managers (anonymous contributors) and a player agent provide insider perspectives on the uncertainties, rumours, and negotiations that make the NHL Trade Deadline a much-anticipated event. Plus, Sportsnet heavyweights weigh in on the potential action, including Kypreos, MacLean, Morrison, Marek, May, John Garrett, Mike Brophy, Gare Joyce and Ryan Dixon.
Social Media Links:
Nick Kypreos: @RealKyper
Daren Millard: @darenmillard
Jeff Marek: @JeffMarek
Scott Morrison: @morrisonSNET
Damien Cox: @DamoSpin
Bob McCown: @FadooBobcat
Brad May: @maydayhockey
Mark Spector: @SportsnetSpec
Brad Fay: @SNBradFay
Garry Valk: @gvalksportsnet
Christine Simpson: @SNChrisSimpson
Bruce Garrioch: @SunGarrioch
Billy Jaffe: @BJaffe
Brian Lawton: @brianlawton9
Neil Smith: @nycneil
Greg Wyshynski: @wyshynski
Twitter Hashtag: #SNTrade
All of Sportsnet's HOCKEY CENTRAL Trade Deadline talent are available for interviews to discuss NHL Trade Deadline.
Sportsnet connects Canadian sports fans to their favourite teams and athletes, using five platforms: TV, Radio, Print, Online and Mobile. Sportsnet is Fuelled By Fans, and delivers storytelling on a local, regional, national and global level. The multiplatform brand consists of Sportsnet, sportsnet.ca, Sportsnet 590 The FAN, Sportsnet 960 The FAN, Sportsnet magazine, Sportsnet Mobile and the Hockey Central app on the iPad and Playbook. Sportsnet is the Canadian leader in NHL and MLB television broadcasts and is home to 162 Toronto Blue Jays games, plus MLB Playoffs and the World Series. Sportsnet is an official broadcaster of the London 2012 Olympic Games, and also offers an exciting sports lineup including the NFL, the Rogers Cup tennis tournament, the Memorial Cup, and soccer programming with UEFA Champions League, Barclays Premier League, MLS Vancouver Whitecaps FC, and Canadian national team matches for men and women. Sportsnet Connected is the network's nightly news program, providing regional and national coverage of the day's events in the world of sports.
For further information:
Jennifer Neziol, Director of Communications
Adam Auckbaraullee, Communications Officer