IBC publishes its list of the top 10 stolen vehicles for 2016.*
MONTREAL, Dec. 6, 2016 /CNW Telbec/ - The Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) today unveiled its annual list of the ten vehicles most frequently stolen in Quebec. Once again, luxury sport utility vehicles (SUVs) are the first choice among criminals.
With the exception of BMW's 335xi–which is considered a luxury car—IBC's Top 10 clearly demonstrates that for thieves, the appeal of sport utility vehicles shows no signs of slowing down. In fact, all the cars that fell into their clutches in 2015 were SUVs.
If overall rates for auto theft are continuing to decline in Quebec, they remain a costly problem for insurers. Between 2013 and 2015, for example, the frequency of thefts dropped by 25%, but the average cost for these types of claims actually rose by 15%, from $15,428 to $17,755. "Today's thefts are different from what they were several years ago. Thieves no longer 'borrow' cars to go for a spin; they are now acting as part of organized networks, and vehicles are often stolen for resale abroad," says Anne Morin, Supervisor, Communications and Public Affairs at the Insurance Bureau of Canada.
In addition to the export market, the vehicles are stolen for resale locally to people who are unaware that they are in fact victims of fraud. The vehicles are also dismantled and sold for parts or used to commit other crimes.
The top 10 in Quebec
This year, the ten most frequently stolen vehicles in Quebec were:
- TOYOTA 4RUNNER 4P 2015 TRUCK/VAN
- TOYOTA 4RUNNER 4P 2014 TRUCK/VAN
- LEXUS RX350 4P 2013 TRUCK/VAN
- LEXUS RX350 4P 2015 TRUCK/VAN
- TOYOTA FJ CRUISER 4P 2011 TRUCK/VAN
- INFINITI QX60 4P 2015 TRUCK/VAN
- BMW 335xi 2P 2008
- TOYOTA 4RUNNER 4P 2013 TRUCK/VAN
- LEXUS RX350 4P 2014 TRUCK/VAN
- LEXUS IS 300 4P 2002
Preventing Auto Theft
The IBC's Top 10 indicates that, in Quebec, nine out of ten stolen vehicles were built after 2007—in other words, after the installation of anti-theft devices became mandatory under the law. Although these systems discourage some thieves, they are not infallible. So it is important to be vigilant and take certain precautions to discourage thieves from targeting your vehicle.
Protect your vehicle by following these tips:
- Never leave the engine running while the vehicle is unattended.
- Park in a well-lit area.
- After parking, always shut the windows and lock the doors.
- Place valuables and any packages in the trunk out of sight.
- Park your vehicle in your garage overnight.
- Do not leave personal documents in the glove compartment.
- Take the registration and proof of insurance with you when leaving the car.
About the Insurance Bureau of Canada
The Insurance Bureau of Canada is the industry association that represents the majority of insurers across the country. It offers consumers a variety of services to help them stay informed and provides assistance with the purchase of home and automobile insurance as well as in the event of disasters.
* The Top-10 list for 2016 is a compilation of the 2015 statistics from Quebec auto insurers.
SOURCE Insurance Bureau of Canada
For further information: (journalists only): Caroline Phémius, Public Affairs Advisor, Telephone: 514 288-1563, extension 2232