Online and Social Media Voting Determines Winning Song
TORONTO, June 9, 2016 /CNW/ - SOCAN today announced the finalists for the 11th annual SOCAN Songwriting Prize, a competition that identifies 10 outstanding songs in English and French written and released by emerging songwriters over the past year, with the music-loving public deciding the winners.
The 10 English and French finalists were each determined by independent panels of 15 music-industry experts who were asked to nominate two songs from any musical genre that they felt were the best written in the last 12 months by emerging songwriters – defined as songwriters who have released no more than two full albums (excluding EPs) up until the end of the eligibility period (see Rules for complete criteria). All of the nominated songs were then compiled, reviewed and voted on by each panel as a whole to decide the final 10 nominees. SOCAN does not have a role in determining nominees or winners.
The 10 English songs nominated this year:
- "Black Body" – written by Benjamin Addy, Renee Wisdom; performed by Spek Won feat.Shi Wisdom.
- "Dead or Alive" – written by Jahmarie Adams, Michael Lantz; performed by Jazz Cartier.
- "Desire" – written by Kathleen Monks, Benjamin Reinhartz, James Rowlinson, Elizabeth Ball; performed by Dilly Dally.
- "How Could You Babe" – written by Tobias Jesso Jr; performed by Tobias Jesso Jr.; published by Universal Music Publishing.
- "Julia" – written by Matthew Mcleod; performed by Fast Romantics.
- "No hurry" – written by Terra Lightfoot; performed by Terra Lightfoot; published by CCS Rights Management Corp.
- "Paradise" – written by Ashton Simmonds, Matthew Burnett, Jordan Evans, Alexander Sowinski, Matthew Tavares, Leland Whitty, Chester Hansen, Keaven Yazdani; performed by Daniel Ceasar feat. BADBADNOTGOOD, Sean Leon; published by Reclusive Music Inc., Kobalt Music Publishing Ltd. Canada, Robinson Heart Publishing.
- "Pen to Paper" – written by Sean Graham, Thomas "Tawgs" Salter; performed by Modern Space; published by Sony/ATV.
- "Spirits" – written by Simon Ward, Jeremy Drury, Jonathan Hembrey, Darryl G.J. James, Brian Leigh Pickett, David Ritter, Joanne Setterington, Isabel Cunningham Ritchie; performed by The Strumbellas; published by Domino Double Nine.
- "Wendell Walker" – written by Andy Shauf; performed by Andy Shauf; published by Peer International Ltd. (Canada), Music of the Mothership.
For two weeks, from June 9-23, 2016, SOCAN invites music fans to vote for their favourite song from the nominees lot by visiting www.socansongwritingprize.ca or through Twitter using the hashtag #mySSPvote and identifying the performer's name in the tweet. Fans can vote once daily through each platform for each of the English and French prize competitions.
The winning songs are planned to be announced the week of July 4, 2016.
Winners will receive $10,000 in cash, a choice between two brands of Godin Guitars (a Seagull Artist Studio CW guitar or Godin 5th Avenue Jazz guitar), a Yamaha PSR-S970 keyboard, and a $500 gift card from Long & McQuade.
"These emerging songwriters might be tomorrow's global superstars," said Michael McCarty, Chief Membership & Business Development Officer at SOCAN. "The SOCAN Songwriting Prize helps these talented songwriters expand their fan base and get the attention they so deserve. Although there can only be one official winner, simply being nominated is a huge achievement."
The 10 song finalists for the 2016 Prix de la chanson SOCAN, the Francophone counterpart to the SOCAN Songwriting Prize:
- "Avalanches" – written and performed by Félix Dyotte; published by Coyote Records.
- "Avant de disparaître" – written and performed by Claude Bégin; published by Coyote Records.
- "Crystel" – written and performed by Philippe Brach; published by Equispec Les Ed.
- "Igloo" – written and performed by Safia Nolin.
- "Les coûteaux à beurre" – written by Melanie Boulay. Jean Sebastien Houle; performed by Les soeurs Boulay; published by Dare to Care Les Ed.
- "Les échardes" – written and performed by performed by Charlotte Cardin; published by Corico Arts Inc.
- "Olympe" – written and performed by Rosie Valland; published by Ambiances Ambigues and David Murphy et Cie.
- "Placebo" – written by Alexe Gaudreault, John Nathaniel; performed by Alexe Gaudreault; published by John Nathaniel Prod Inc.
- "Rêves d'été" – written and performed Laurence Nerbonne; published by Coyote Records.
- "Saratoga" – written by Chantal Archambault, Michel Olivier Gasse; performed by Saratoga; published by Ambiances Ambiques Ed.
Previous winners of the SOCAN Songwriting Prize: Dear Rouge for "I Heard I Had" (2015), Alejandra Ribera for "I Want" (2014), Mo Kenney for "Sucker" (2013), Kathleen Edwards for "A Soft Place to Land" (2012), Katie Moore for "Wake Up Like This" (2011), Brasstronaut for "Hearts Trompet" (2010), D-Sisive for "Nobody With a Notepad" (2009), The Weakerthans for "Night Windows" (2008), Abdominal for "Pedal Pusher" (2007), Propagandi for "A Speculative Fiction" (2006).
Previous winners of the Prix de la chanson SOCAN: Antoine Corriveau for "Le Nouveau vocabulaire" (2015), Patrice Michaud for "Mécaniques générales" (2014), Keith Kouna for "Batiscan" (2013), Koriass for "St-Eustache" (2012), Galaxie for "Piste 1" (2011), Vulgaires Machines for "Parasites" (2010), Bernard Adamus for "La question à 100 piasses" (2009), Karkwa for "Oublie pas" (2008), Tricot Machine for "L'Ours" (2007), Éve Cournoyer for "Tout arrive" (2006).
SOCAN is a member-based organization that represents the Canadian performing rights of more than four-million Canadian and international music creators and publishers. SOCAN is proud to play a leading role in supporting the long-term success of its more than 135,000 Canadian members, and the Canadian music ecosystem overall. SOCAN licenses more than 130,000 businesses in Canada, and distributes royalties to its members and music rights organizations around the world. SOCAN also distributes royalties to its members for the use of their music internationally in collaboration with its peer societies. www.socan.ca
For further information: Media contacts: Environics Communications (for SOCAN): Melody Gaukel, 416-969-2704, email@example.com; SOCAN: Michael Critchley, 416-445-8700 x 3784, firstname.lastname@example.org