LAVAL, QC, June 26, 2013 /CNW Telbec/ - On June 26, at the end of the afternoon, Environment Canada issued a smog warning for Thursday June 27 in the local area. In keeping with its commitment, the Société de transport de Laval (STL) is therefore reducing the fare on its buses on Thursday June 27 to just $1.
Launched in 2008, the Smog Alert initiative aims at promoting the use of public transit when the air quality deteriorates so much that it is below acceptable standards.
It has been estimated that the special $1 fare might prompt some 1500 motorists to leave their cars at home on smog days.
No other Québec carrier has adopted an incentive fare policy, under these circumstances, to improve the quality of the air.
This measure (which comes to an end on Labour Day, September 3) may well be repeated during the summer.
The STL, facts and figures
- The STL operates over 20 million runs annually.
- The STL has rolled out its STLSynchro system, which informs transit users, in real time, about bus schedules and progress along the routes.
- The overhaul of its bus network, made necessary by the extension of the metro to Laval, has given rise to a 32% increase in service, faster trips, more direct bus routes and a greater frequency of buses outside rush hours, on evenings and weekends on 12 routes.
- The STL has also joined forces with the Association québécoise de lutte contre la pollution atmosphérique, Communauto and the Carpooling Network, to promote sustainable transportation in Laval.
- The fare policy is particularly designed to encourage families to use public transit: All adults paying their fare on weekends and holidays may be accompanied, free of charge, by up to five children age 11 and under. This policy also applies to every day in the summer, July 1 - Labour Day. In addition, the STL's $1 fares on summer smog days are a first in Québec.
- All vehicles on its fleet use biodiesel B5.
- The STL is registered on Twitter and has its own Facebook page, where it announces service notices.
- The STL offers riders the opportunity to register on MySTL to receive notices on the bus routes that they usually take.
- Since the roll-out, in 2009, of its vehicle scheduling control system, the STL's on-time performance has been on the rise, to over 92%.
- The STL has received a number of awards of distinction, including one from the AQTR in 2010: the Grand Prix for excellence in mass transit, positioning it as an outstanding corporation.
- In 2011, the STL is prize winner of AQTR best communication advertising campain for its Smog Alert Program.
- In 2011, the STL undertook a feasibility study to examine the viability of implementing an aerial tramway (gondola service) on its territory. This study is an additional project over and above the measures in the Sustainable Mobility Plan. The steps being taken in this regard are supported by Ville de Laval, the Agence métropolitaine de transport and Hydro-Québec.
- In May 2012, the new service STL Solution mobilité durable has been launched. This program is for organizations concerned with more efficient management of travel for their employees.
SOURCE: Société de transport de Laval
For further information:
Société de transport de Laval
450 662-5400, ext. 2360