Helpful road trip reminders
THORNHILL, ON, June 17, 2014 /CNW/ - The summer road trip season is here. You've been waiting for it to arrive since the snow started to melt and the mercury began to rise.
This summer, CAA South Central Ontario (CAA SCO) is expecting approximately 18,000 requests for TripTik route planners. If you are looking for a great destination to visit, here are some suggestions:
Top five driving destinations
1. Nova Scotia
4. New York
5. South Carolina
Road trip tips
- Change your oil, test your battery, top up your fluids and check your tire pressure before you leave.
- Always keep the view through your windows clear. For all your travel gear including emergency kits, water bottles, maps and luggage visit a CAA Travel Store near you.
- Determine your route ahead of time and bring a map as a backup to your GPS. CAA offers maps and TripTik route planners to help get you where you are going safely.
Travelling by car with children
- Give children a map so they can follow along and help avoid the question "Are we there yet?"
- Bring along a portable DVD player and their favourite movies to keep them entertained during the road trip.
- Pack enough toys, games, books and snacks for each child to avoid any arguments.
Travel insurance should always be on your vacation checklist. An unexpected trip to the emergency room or a visit to the doctor's office can be expensive. OHIP coverage may not cover you outside of Ontario. Provincial health plans cover approximately 9 per cent of medical expenses when travelling outside of Canada.*
|*Source: The Travel Health Insurance Association of Canada (2013)|
For over a hundred years, CAA has been helping Canadians stay mobile, safe and protected. CAA South Central Ontario is one of nine auto clubs across Canada providing roadside assistance, automotive care, travel products, insurance services and member savings for more than 1.9 million members.
SOURCE: CAA South Central Ontario
For further information: Media contact: Silvana Aceto, Media and PR Consultant, CAA SCO, [email protected], Office: (905) 771-3194, Cell: (416) 209-4930; or Jeff LeMoine, Communications Consultant, CAA SCO [email protected], Office: (905) 771-4709, Cell: (416) 254-0641