COLLINGWOOD, ON, Aug. 7, 2018 /CNW/ - Collingwood's harbour festival is back with more ways to have fun in this historic, harbourfront downtown.
On August 11 and 12, Sidelaunch Days celebrates the joy of being in, on, and around South Georgian Bay while commemorating the unique shipbuilding heritage of Collingwood. With activities for all ages, Sidelaunch Days is a great family festival.
Getting out on the water is a big part of Sidelaunch Days. Visitors can try out canoeing, kayaking, sailing and stand up paddle-boarding for free! They can also catch the excitement by watching the experts compete, or even compete themselves!
The Ontario Summer Splash SUP Race Series stops in Collingwood featuring demos and races. From novice events to sprints, team races on Blu Wave's giant SUP, to the new race out to the Nottawasaga Lighthouse and back, there's something for every paddler.
Cable wakeboarding is back, starting the week BEFORE Sidelaunch Days. Try wakeboarding in the beautiful, safe, and protected Collingwood Harbour August 6-10, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. The team at Border Pass make it easy, but they also offer a Get Up Guarantee or it's free!
New this year is the addition of Battle in the Bay, an amateur and pro wakeboarding competition. Experience the thrill and be astounded by the sweet flips and crazy tricks they perform.
There's more free fun and activities:
- Stroll the Market Promenade beside the sidelaunch basin: There's something for everyone along the eats, treats and art promenade, featuring more than 25 vendors
- Visit the Kids Craft & Activity Centre: Enjoy arts and crafts for children including balsa wood planes. Take your plane to the Wooden Airplane Flight Zone and test its abilities in the Longest Flight Challenge.
- Be a Sailor for a Day in a Watercraft Simulator: Incredible watercraft simulator that makes you feel like you are sailing a Great Lakes Freighter – even one like those that used to 'sidelaunch' into Collingwood harbour.
- Watch Kites over Collingwood at Millennium Park: Participants can bring their own kites or decorate one on site and enjoy the winds at Millennium. Watch the professionals with their large colourful kites soaring high above Collingwood Harbour!
- Evening concerts at the Shipyards Amphitheatre: Bring your own chair, concerts start at 7:00 p.m.! Saturday features the Jayden Grahlman Band while the Mudmen return on Sunday.
SOURCE Town of Collingwood
For further information: Media contact: Karen Cubitt, Manager, Culture & Events, 705-444-2500 Ext. 3711, Kcubitt@collingwood.ca