Leaders from six innovative sectors will guide federal efforts to create new business opportunities and jobs for Canadians
OTTAWA, Nov. 8, 2017 /CNW/ - Six industry leaders are being tasked with guiding the Government of Canada's efforts to ensure middle-class Canadians have access to well-paying jobs today and in the future. The six leaders will chair the government's Economic Strategy Tables, which represent high-growth industries.
The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, today announced that Tobias Lütke, Founder and CEO of Shopify, headquartered in Ottawa, will chair the digital industries table. Mr. Lütke joins the four previously announced chairs:
- Charles Deguire, Co-founder of Kinova Robotics of Boisbriand, Quebec, who is chairing the advanced manufacturing table;
- Murad Al-Katib, President and CEO of AGT Food and Ingredients of Regina, Saskatchewan, who is chairing the agri-food table;
- Karimah Es Sabar, CEO of and partner in Quark Venture of Vancouver, British Columbia, who is chairing the health/bio-sciences table; and
- Audrey Mascarenhas, President and CEO of Questor Technology of Calgary, Alberta, who is chairing the clean technology table.
Each chair will preside over a group of approximately 15 members as they guide federal efforts to create the conditions for long-term growth that lead to new business opportunities and middle-class jobs for Canadians.
There are technology disruptions in virtually every sector of the economy, and the government is ensuring that Canadian businesses and people have the information and skills they need to benefit from all emerging technologies.
The Economic Strategy Table chairs were selected based on the advice of industry leaders and associations as well as federal government departments. The chairs, working with federal government departments, will choose the 15 members for their tables. Industry chairs and table members represent a diverse group of experts from six high-growth sectors.
The Economic Strategy Tables will set ambitious growth targets for Canadian innovators, identify sector-specific challenges and create a roadmap to support Canada's global success.
The chair of the clean resources table will be announced in the coming weeks.
The Economic Strategy Tables are part of the Government's Innovation and Skills Plan to create well-paying jobs and strengthen the middle class by investing in high-growth sectors where Canada has a globally competitive advantage.
"The sectors that drive innovation are where the middle-class jobs of today and tomorrow are created. Our government is committed to working with entrepreneurs and innovators to generate new business opportunities, create good middle-class jobs and equip Canadians with the skills they need for the jobs of the future. Our government looks forward to working with industry partners through the Economic Strategy Tables to turn high-growth Canadian companies into global successes."
– The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development
- Each table will present a report of its findings and recommendations by summer 2018.
- These tables will support the government's goal of doubling the number of high-growth Canadian companies to 28,000 from 14,000 by 2025.
Follow Minister Bains on Twitter: @MinisterISED
SOURCE Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
For further information: Karl W. Sasseville, Press Secretary, Office of the Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, 343-291-2500; Media Relations, Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada, 343-291-1777, firstname.lastname@example.org