OAKVILLE, ON, Nov. 1, 2018 /CNW/ - Sheridan College ranks in the top five research colleges in Canada, according to the annual ranking of Canada's Top 50 Research Colleges released today by Research Infosource Inc.
Along with this milestone achievement, Sheridan maintains its first overall ranking of completed research projects with a total of 180 projects, while remaining as a top-five institute in the categories of research partnerships, paid student researchers, industry research income and industry research intensity.
"We're thrilled to be recognized – once again – as a research leader in Canada," says Dr. Janet Morrison, President and Vice Chancellor of Sheridan. "At Sheridan, research is part of our institutional fabric. It enables us to imagine and incubate great, big audacious ideas. Independently and collectively, our faculty-led projects drive academic quality, economic development, social innovation, and entrepreneurship. By deliberately involving students, our projects also offer highly compelling, hands-on experiences that position learners for success in today's knowledge economy."
Many of the projects highlighted in this year's ranking were led by one of Sheridan's five Research Centres and Entrepreneurial Hub:
- Centre for Elder Research provides a unique environment for applied research into areas of practical concern and immediate relevance to older adults. The Centre is committed to developing innovative approaches to enhancing the well-being of older adults and the environments that support them.
- Screen Industries Research and Training Centre (SIRT) supports Ontario's film, television and interactive media cluster. SIRT was designated a Technology Access Centre in the spring of 2013 through funding support from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC).
- Centre for Advanced Manufacturing and Design Technologies (CAMDT) exemplifies Sheridan's leading role as a hub connecting industry, curriculum and applied research. The Centre links companies of all sizes to Sheridan's advanced manufacturing expertise and equipment, and allows them to explore these tools with the help of Sheridan faculty and students.
- Centre for Mobile Innovation (CMI) creates innovative solutions to healthcare problems. The Centre is focused on mHealth (mobile health), and collaborates with a wide range of industry, community and healthcare partners.
- Canadian Music Theatre Project (CMTP) is Canada's first incubator for the development of music theatre works. Through the CMTP, students in our renowned Honours Bachelor of Music Theatre Performance program work with Canadian and international composers, lyricists and book writers to develop their musicals.
- EDGE Entrepreneurship Hub (EDGE) is Sheridan's hub for entrepreneurs and changemakers, and a place for innovators to connect, learn and work. Drawing on the expertise of the Sheridan community, EDGE supports entrepreneurs as they launch and build new ventures.
Sheridan's diverse range of current research projects includes:
- The development of two "green" projects: a cloud-based system to monitor and regulate greenhouse gas emissions from highway transportation; and a system to monitor the performance and reliability of solar roadways as an energy-generating alternative to traditional pavement. (Led by Dr. Shirook Ali, Professor in the School of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering Technologies in the Faculty of Applied Science & Technology)
- A research project focused on understanding the needs and supports of older immigrants in the Halton and Peel Regions who are at risk of experiencing social isolation and/or loneliness. (Led by Professor Sirena Liladrie and Professor Alexa Roggeveen from the Faculty of Applied Health & Community Studies)
- A partnership with Canon to explore projection mapping onto three-dimensional parametric artworks using multiple projectors. (Led by Professors Carol Ironside and Douglas Donald from the Faculty of Animation, Arts & Design)
"Our ranking in this year's list recognizes Sheridan's commitment to research excellence, and reflects the achievements of our faculty, staff and students," says Andrea England, Vice Provost, Research. "We're immensely proud of our unique research culture, the meaningful experiences it provides for our students, and the exceptional value we deliver to partner organizations."
To learn more about the innovative research taking place at Sheridan, click here.
SOURCE Sheridan College
For further information: Media Contact: Susan Atkinson, 905-815-4073; email@example.com