CHARLOTTETOWN, July 31, 2014 /CNW/ - Founders Week, a PEI 2014 Production, will feature events and activities that pay tribute to the Fathers of Confederation and commemorate the 1864 Charlottetown Conference that led to the creation of Canada. Coinciding with the dates the Fathers of Confederation met in Charlottetown in 1864, Founders Week will run August 28 to September 7, 2014.
The historic week will feature a Tall Ships Tour, historical re-enactments, a statue unveiling, spectacular circus performances, and the Feast of the Fathers – a culinary event that recreates the grand ball held on the final night of the Charlottetown Conference. Major concerts will book-end the week with Canada's international superstar Shania Twain along with Corey Hart performing at the Charlottetown Event Grounds on August 30 and Ontario pop rockers Walk Off the Earth on the Atlantic Lottery / Red Shores Main Stage in the PEI 2014 Celebration Zone on September 6, 2014. Click here for details in the media backgrounder.
Other highlights of the week include a focus on Canadian youth and the future of our nation. The New Canada Conference will bring together 100 youth aged 19 to 24 from across the country from August 31 to September 3 to discuss Canada's future. And history will meet modern day arts and culture as students from dance schools in Charlottetown and Quebec City perform MMD 2014: March, Memory, Dance at Peake's Quay and on Great George Street.
- Six Tall Ships, including the pirate-themed Liana's Ransom will visit Charlottetown August 28th to the 31st and Summerside on September 1st.
- Feast of the Fathers will be co-hosted by Chef Lynn Crawford and Patrick Ledwell who will take guests back in time with his comedic stories from the 1864 Conference and how they have impacted modern day events. Tickets for Feast of the Fathers can be purchased through the Fall Flavours website.
- PEI 2014 is presenting sponsor of Shania Twain Live in Concert, a production of Donald K. Donald and AEG Live Canada. Tickets to Shania Twain Live can be purchased at www.shaniapei.com.
- The PEI 2014 celebrations are made possible through generous support from the Government of Canada, the Government of Prince Edward Island, and the City of Charlottetown.
"As our year of celebration continues, Founders Week reminds Islanders of the importance of this 150th anniversary. The Charlottetown Conference is an historic milestone for the foundation of our great country. The Government of Canada is pleased to recognize such a significant event and to celebrate our past while providing a vision for the future."
- The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, Regional Minister for Prince Edward Island and Egmont MP
"Founders Week truly represents the three pillars of the PEI 2014 celebrations – honouring the past, celebrating the present and planning a bold tomorrow. This is going to be an incredibly diverse week that will be an exciting mix of celebration and historical commemoration."
- Robert Henderson, Minister of Tourism and Culture
"The City of Charlottetown is proud to support and host Founders Week. PEI 2014 has a stellar lineup of entertainment and activities and they have worked hard to pull together this fantastic schedule. Founders Week will be a wonderful way to celebrate our diversity and culture, our history, the Birthplace of Confederation and the 1864 Charlottetown Conference."
- His Worship Clifford Lee, Mayor of Charlottetown
"The City of Summerside is very pleased to be hosting the Tall Ships in our community this Labour Day – Monday, September 1st. We invite everyone to spend the holiday visiting our beautiful downtown waterfront and seeing these fine ships on display. It is sure to be a great day of special activities and fun for all ages. So come spend this Labour Day in Summerside, see the Tall Ships and enjoy the fine hospitality of our city."
- His Worship Basil Stewart, Mayor of Summerside
Image with caption: "Founders Week 2014 in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island will include performances by Shania Twain, Corey Hart, and Walk Off The Earth, as well as a visit from the Tall Ships, historical reenactments, circus performances and more. (CNW Group/Prince Edward Island 2014 Inc.)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20140731_C2976_PHOTO_EN_4541.jpg
Image with caption: "As part of Founders Week 2014, the Fair Jeanne and 5 other Tall Ships will visit Charlottetown, PEI August 28th to 31st, and Summerside, PEI, September 1st. (CNW Group/Prince Edward Island 2014 Inc.)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20140731_C2976_PHOTO_EN_4542.jpg
Image with caption: "As part of Founders Week 2014, Ontario pop-rockers, Walk Off The Earth will perform on the Atlantic Lottery/Red Shores Main Stage on September 6th at the PEI 2014 Celebration Zone in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. (CNW Group/Prince Edward Island 2014 Inc.)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20140731_C2976_PHOTO_EN_4545.jpg
SOURCE: Prince Edward Island 2014 Inc.
For further information: Media Contact: Patricia Devine, Communications Director, T:(902) 628-9175, C: (902) 314-0080, E: [email protected]