Thousands of runners Just Gav'er and raised $450,000 for local charities
HALIFAX, May 20, 2012 /CNW/ - Attendance records were broken at the Scotiabank Blue Nose Marathon today, with over 11,800 runners and walkers participating in 5 events throughout the weekend. Runners who took to the historic streets of Halifax and Dartmouth this Victoria Day weekend also raised more than $450,000 for 49 local charities.
"Today's race was an exciting one for runners, supporters, and the community in Halifax," said Rod McCulloch, Co-Chair of the Scotiabank Blue Nose Marathon. "With record numbers of runners, volunteers and charities registered through the Scotiabank Charity Challenge, we had another successful weekend at this year's event."
The Scotiabank Charity Challenge raised more than $450,000 as of press time. Fundraising efforts for registered charities will continue for one month following today's race and the Scotiabank Charity Challenge and its participants are hopeful that they will exceed last year's total of $470,000.
"It's inspiring to see the community come together to raise much-needed funds for local organizations through the Scotiabank Charity Challenge," said Islay McGlynn, Senior Vice-President, Atlantic Region, Scotiabank. "The remarkable sum raised so far proves that the Scotiabank Blue Nose Marathon is more than a race - it's a great combination of athleticism, philanthropy and community spirit. Runners and participants in this year's race share Scotiabank's commitment to giving back to the communities where we live and work and we want to thank everyone for their fundraising efforts this year."
Scotiabank Blue Nose Marathon Results:
- Mike MacKinnon (Miscouche, PEI) - 2:42:23.4
- David MacLennan (Scotsburn, PEI) - 2:49:18.6
- Rob MacKenzie (Long Creek, NB) - 2:51:02.4
- Mylene Sansoucy (Montreal, QC) - 3:14:10.7
- Jennie Orr (Mayfield, NS) - 3:34:44.6
- Rachael House (Halifax, NS) - 3:35:58.0
- Oliver Hatheway (Hebbville, NS) - 1:13:11.7
- Nathan Mudge (Sault Ste. Marie, ON) - 1:15:43.2
- Scott McCLennan (Halifax, NS) - 1:15:54.5
- Holly Van Gestel (Halifax, NS) - 1:22:14.1
- Emily Hamilton (Dartmouth, NS) - 1:26:41.3
- Erica Bowie (Dartmouth, NS) - 1:28:31.8
- Bryden Tate (Heatherton, ON) - 34:13.1
- Daniel McNeil (Grand Bay, NB) - 34:55.5
- Aubrey Sanders (Corner Brook, NL) - 36:29.6
- Anna Von Maltzahn (Halifax, NS) - 41:26.3
- Heather Hynes (Canmore, AB) - 43:11.3
- Lauren Ross (Halifax, NS) - 43:14.2
- Mike Tate (Heatherton, ON) - 16:13.6
- Jonathan Menzies (Halifax, NS) - 16:43.3
- Conor Friesen (Dartmouth, NS) - 17:22.3
- Emma Edmonds (Halifax, NS) - 18:31.2
- Antia Howard (Milton, NS) - 21:31.2
- Abby Smilestone (Halifax, NS) - 21:45.5
For more highlights and complete race results, please visit:
Scotiabank is committed to supporting the communities in which we live and work, both in Canada and abroad. Recognized as a leader internationally and among Canadian corporations for its charitable donations and philanthropic activities, Scotiabank has provided on average approximately $45 million annually to community causes around the world over the last five years. Visit us at www.scotiabank.com.
For further information:
Scotiabank Blue Nose Marathon