OTTAWA, Oct. 11, 2012 /CNW/ - The Standards Council of Canada (SCC) is pleased to announce, as part of the 43rd global World Standards Day (WSD), a dynamic event lineup for its WSD 2012 celebration this Friday, October 12, 2012. Participants may attend in person or via webcast.
SCC will also hold its 2012 Annual Public Meeting this Friday. Both events are free of charge and are open to the general public.
Each year in mid-October, SCC joins the international community in celebrating the importance of standards-related activities and pays tribute to the collaborative efforts of the thousands of individuals that give of their time and expertise to this important work.
The theme of WSD 2012 is Less waste, better results—Standards increase efficiency. SCC's exciting half-day event program focuses on energy efficiency, in support of this theme.
- Morning presentations will include:
- Opening remarks by Deputy Minister of Industry, John Knubley
- Keynote address by Melissa O'Mara, Vice President, Education/Government Solutions and High Performance Green Buildings, Schneider Electric.
- The WSD 2012 event lineup will also feature:
- Panel discussion on the importance of energy efficiency standardization for Canada
This panel session brings together leading Canadian policymakers, standardization professionals and industry leaders, to discuss how to strengthen energy efficiency standardization for the benefit of Canada. Panel members include:
- Carol Buckley, Director General, Office of Energy Efficiency, Natural Resources Canada
- Ross Hornby, Vice-President, Government Affairs and Policy, GE Canada (moderator)
- Elizabeth McDonald, President and CEO, Canadian Energy Efficiency Alliance
- Ralph Suppa, President and General Manager, Canadian Institute of Plumbing & Heating
- Networking breakfast
The panel discussion and networking breakfast will be of interest to a wide range of participants, including standards developers, government regulators, industry stakeholders, retailers, manufacturers, policymakers, trade experts, certification bodies, and consumers.
SCC also invites standardization stakeholders and members of the public to attend its 2012 Annual Public Meeting, also taking place on October 12 (at 3 p.m.) at the same location. English and French simultaneous interpretation will be provided for both events. Viewers and attendees of the meeting are asked to submit their questions, and to register, in advance.
Registration details and additional event information are available at www.scc.ca/wsd.
SCC is a Crown corporation and a portfolio of Industry Canada. With the goal of enhancing Canada's economic competitiveness and social well-being, SCC advises federal, provincial and territorial governments, industry organizations, and nongovernmental bodies on standards- and conformity assessment-related aspects of trade and regulatory policy. SCC also serves as Canada's World Trade Organization and North American Free Trade Agreement (WTO/NAFTA) Enquiry Point. SCC represents Canada as the Canadian member of ISO and the International Electrotechnical Commission and is an active member of the International Accreditation Forum. For additional information on the work of SCC, please visit www.scc.ca, or email email@example.com.
SOURCE: Standards Council of Canada
For further information:
Manager, Corporate Communications and Planning
Standards Council of Canada
613 238 3222 ext. 462