TORONTO, Nov. 22, 2016 /CNW/ - With winter just a few weeks away, RSA Canada, a leading general home and auto insurer, is urging drivers to exercise more caution on the road than normal.
The warning comes as Canadians prepare for an extreme winter, according to the Canadian Farmers' Almanac.
"Extremely cold temperatures, intense snow storms and blizzard conditions have been forecast for the months ahead, so now is the time to get prepared," RSA Canada spokesperson Brodie Bott says.
"The best defense against this kind of weather is to have a strong offense and plan ahead so you can mitigate any potential danger to you and your loved ones. Whether you're planning to travel this holiday season or just commuting to and from work, drivers will need to take extra precaution when on the road, and give themselves additional time to get to their destination."
"Bad weather doesn't cause accidents, but bad driving habits do," Bott says.
Check out RSA Canada's top winter driving tips to help you and your family stay safe:
- Use extreme caution when driving – it's not how long it takes, but that you arrive safely.
- Allow yourself at least three times the normal stopping distance.
- Have the car battery and charging system checked for optimum performance. Cold weather is hard on batteries.
- Be proactive and have your winter tires put on before the first snowfall. Winter tires are important for safe driving.
- Make sure to inform friends and family of your driving route. In case you're running late, people will know where you are.
- Have your cellphone with you at all times and make sure that you have a charger or an extra battery on hand. Don't use your phone while driving.
- During winter, check your tire pressure weekly.
- If the police or a civil authority has closed a road or a highway, it is for your own safety. Do not attempt to drive on it.
- Have an emergency travel kit ready in your vehicle at all times. Kit contents should include:
- Blanket and extra clothing – includes hats, gloves and boots;
- Flashlight and batteries, extra fully-charged cell phone or battery;
- First aid kit;
- Map; and
- Ice scraper and/or snow brush.
With a 300 year heritage, RSA is one of the world's leading multinational quoted insurance groups. Focusing on general insurance, RSA's core markets are the UK and Ireland, Scandinavia and Canada with the capability to write business across the globe. We have around 14,000 employees across the core business and, in 2015, our net written premiums were £6.8 billion.
Johnson Inc. is a licensed insurance agency in Alberta. Morgex Insurance is a division of Johnson Inc. Servus Insurance Services | Home and Auto, a division of Johnson Inc., is not a subsidiary of Servus Credit Union, it is a tradestyle of Johnson Inc.used under license from Servus Credit Union. JB Insurance Services is a trade name of Johnson Inc. Home and auto insurance is available through Johnson Inc., a licensed insurance intermediary in AB. Policies are primarily underwritten by Unifund Assurance Company (Unifund). Unifund and Johnson Inc. share common ownership.
About RSA Canada
RSA Canada includes Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada (www.rsagroup.ca), The Johnson Corporation and its affiliates (www.johnson.ca), RSA Travel Insurance Inc. (www.rsatravelinsurance.ca) which operates as RSA Travel Insurance Agency in British Columbia, Canadian Northern Shield Insurance Company (www.cns.ca), Western Assurance Company (www.westernassurance.ca), Ascentus Insurance Ltd., and Quebec Assurance Company.
©2016 Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada. All rights reserved. RSA, RSA & Design and related words and logos are trademarks and the property of RSA Insurance Group plc, licensed for use by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada. RSA is a trade name of Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada.
SOURCE RSA Canada
Image with caption: "RSA Canada (CNW Group/RSA Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20161122_C3110_PHOTO_EN_824412.jpg
For further information: Brodie Bott, Communications & Media Relation Manager, RSA Canada, [email protected]