Leading Airlines and Airports Meet to Expand Air Services Between Asia, Europe and the Middle East
MANCHESTER, England, July 3, 2014 /CNW/ - The first Routes Silk Road, the route development forum which connects Asia, the CIS, Central and Eastern Europe and the Middle East will open this weekend in Tbilisi, Georgia. The event will bring together leading airports, airlines, tourism authorities, policy-makers and aviation stakeholders to develop new air services to, from and within the region, which is home to around two thirds of the world's population.
Hosted by United Airports of Georgia and supported by the Georgian National Tourism Administration, Routes Silk Road will take place in the Georgian capital on 6 - 8 July 2014. Over 250 delegates are expected to attend Routes Silk Road, representing over 45 airports and 35 leading airlines which connect the region, including Etihad, Air China, China Southern, Turkish Airlines, Aeroflot, AirAsia X, easyJet, Air Astana, Air Baltic, Czech Airlines, Air Arabia, Wizz Air and Atlasjet.
Kate Aleksidze, CEO of UAG commented: "It is an absolute honour and we feel truly privileged to host Routes Silk Road 2014 in Tbilisi. Georgia has achieved some outstanding results over the last decade in terms of PAX growth, which has been trebled since 2005. We believe that hosting Routes Silk Road gives UAG and its stakeholders a unique opportunity to promote the country as destination and generate further growth of the aviation industry in both the country as well as all over the region."
Katie Bland, Director Routes for UBM Live said: "Like the Silk Road of old, today's air services facilitate trade and commerce between the many peoples of this vast and diverse part of the world. It is for this reason we are bringing together the leading airports and airlines which connect the 4.5 billion people of Asia, Central and Eastern Europe and the Middle East regions. Routes Silk Road aims to further improve the connections between the major cities in this important region, and the decisions taken here will help shape air transport in the region for years to come."
One of the highlights of the event will be the Routes Silk Road Strategy Summit which will take place on Sunday 6 July and in the morning of Monday 7 July and will open with a keynote address from Giorgi Kvirikashvili Minister of Economy and Sustainable Development of Georgia. Around 20 high-level industry leaders will speak at this hard hitting conference covering some of the hot topics affecting the industry today, including Kate Aleksidze, CEO of United Airports of Georgia; Yevgen Treskunov, EVP Strategy and Development, Ukraine International Airlines; Iase Zautashvili, General Director, Georgian Airways; Mete Erkal, General Manager, TAV Georgia; Arman Khachaturyan, CEO, National Competitiveness Foundation of Armenia and Daniel Burkard, Director of External & International Relations and Deputy Airport Director at Domodedovo Moscow Airport. Attendees will also hear a keynote presentation from Alla Peressolova, Programme Manager Silk Road of the UNWTO who will be holding their Silk Road Task Force alongside Routes Silk Road.
Located at the crossroads between Europe and Asia, Georgia is a bridge connecting several important economic regions including Europe, the Newly Independent States (NIS), Turkey, the Caucasus and Central Asia region. Its geographic location makes the country the transportation hub for commerce and job creation.
For more information on Routes Silk Road, please visit our website.
Notes to Editors
- Routes organises world-renowned airline and airport networking events through its regional and global Route Development Forums. Each year, there is one global event and one regional event in Asia, Africa, Europe, the Americas and CIS respectively. http://www.routesonline.com
- Routes was founded in 1995 as part of the Manchester UK‐based ASM Ltd., a consultancy specialising in the field of route development for airports. http://www.asm‐global.com. Routes and ASM are part of the UBM Live division of UBM plc.
- UBM Live connects people and creates opportunities for companies across five continents to develop new business, meet customers, launch new products, promote their brands and expand their markets. Through premiere brands such as MD&M, CPhI, IFSEC, TFM&A, Cruise Shipping Miami, the Concrete Show, the Routes portfolio of events, Airport Cities and many others, UBM Live exhibitions, conferences, awards programs, publications, websites and training and certification programs are an integral part of the marketing plans of companies across more than 20 industry sectors. http://www.ubmlive.com
About UBM plc
- UBM plc is a global events-led marketing services and communications company. We help businesses do business, bringing the world's buyers and sellers together at events and online, as well as producing and distributing news and specialist content. Our 5,500 staff in more than 30 countries are organised into expert teams which serve commercial and professional communities, helping them to do business and their markets to work effectively and efficiently.
- For more information, go to http://www.ubm.com; follow us on Twitter at @UBM_plc to get the latest UBM corporate news; follow @UBM for news from all UBM's businesses; follow @UBM for a flavour of UBM from selected members of UBM's Twitterati.
Follow us on twitter: @Routesonline, @TheHUBRoutes, @VictoriaRoutes, @NLPROU, @airlineroute
SOURCE: UBM Live Routes Ltd
For further information: Victoria Jones, Communications Manager, Routes, T: +44(0)161-234-2730, E: [email protected]