Erik Sakkov and the team from Tallinn Airport collect prestigious award from the Estonian Convention Bureau
MANCHESTER, England, Jan. 24, 2013 /CNW/ - At a ceremony which took place on Wednesday 16th January, Erik Sakkov, Member of the Board of Tallinn Airport was handed the award by the Estonian Convention Bureau for hosting the international event which is the only network planning forum for the entire European region. The event, which took place in May of last year, was the largest Routes Europe to date with almost 900 key industry decision makers descending on Tallinn to meet, do business and shape the future of Europe's air services.
Holding Routes Europe in Estonia is, according to Sakkov, a great success. It took two years of bidding and one and a half years of preparation, but the event has paid off hugely; in fact, Tallinn Airport were able to announce during the event that they had secured a new air route with Turkish Airlines who confirmed they would be commencing a three-times-weekly service to the Estonian capital.
"However unique we might consider our Old Town or singing tradition, the reality is that looking from Europe, we are still seen like a post-soviet country somewhere in Siberia," commented Sakkov. "No flyer or advertisement can disprove this prejudice, the only thing that helps is to get all the decision makers here and show them how great a place Estonia is for a tourist and that it's also one of the most favourable places in Europe for doing business."
Andrew Rowe, VP Operations for Routes, organisers of the event said the delegates were impressed with the hospitality and seamless organisation by Tallinn Airport: "Routes Europe 2012 in Tallinn was a great success. It was a fantastic show and the attending airlines and airports enjoyed the city and Estonian hospitality. They left with a very favourable impression of Tallinn and Estonia." Rowe continued: "To quote from one delegate's feedback, 'this was one of the best organised events I have ever attended, a big thank you to Tallinn Airport'."
"Altogether, there were 11 nominees for the award of Conference of the Year 2012," said Kadri Karu, CEO of the Estonian Convention Bureau continuing: "Routes Europe 2012 definitely caught the attention and acknowledgement of Estonia as well as abroad." This January, the Estonian Convention Bureau (ECB) celebrates its fifth year. ECB serves as an association of convention businesses and municipalities, which aims to promote Estonia as a destination for convention tourism and Karu promises that the Estonian Convention Bureau will do everything to promote Estonia as a host for events of this magnitude.
Notes to Editors
- Routes organises world-renowned airline and airport networking events through its regional and global Route Development Forums. Each year, there is one global event and one regional event in Asia, Africa, Europe, the Americas and CIS respectively. http://www.routesonline.com
- All destinations and Hosts of Routes Europe Events are listed below: Warsaw, Poland, 21-23 May 2006, hosted by PPL Sofia, Bulgaria, 13-15 May 2007, hosted by Sofia International Airport Porto, Portugal, 11 - 13 May 2008, hosted by ANA - Aeroportos de Portugal Prague, Czech Republic 17-19 May 2009, hosted by Prague Airport Toulouse, France, 13 -15 May 2010, hosted by Toulouse Airport Cagliari, Sardinia 8-10 May 2011 hosted by Cagliari Airport Tallinn, Estonia 20-22 May 2012 hosted by Tallinn Airport Budapest, Hungary 12-14 May 2013 hosted by Budapest Airport
- Routes was founded in 1995 as part of the Manchester UK-based ASM Ltd., a consultancy specialising in the field of route development for airports. http://www.asm-global.com
- Routes and ASM were acquired by UBM Aviation Worldwide Ltd in August 2010. From 1st August 2012 Routes, ASM and the Airport Cities Conference and Exhibition become part of the UBM Live division of UBM plc.
- UBM Live connects people and creates opportunities for companies across five continents to develop new business, meet customers, launch new products, promote their brands and expand their markets. Through premiere brands such as MD&M, CPhI, IFSEC, TFM&A, Cruise Shipping Miami, the Concrete Show, the Routes portfolio of events, Airport Cities and many others, UBM Live exhibitions, conferences, awards programs, publications, websites and training and certification programs are an integral part of the marketing plans of companies across more than 20 industry sectors. http://www.ubmlive.com
SOURCE: UBM Aviation Routes Ltd
For further information:
For further press information please contact: Victoria Jones, PR Executive, UBM Aviation Routes Limited, T: +44(0)161-234-2730, E: email@example.com