Preferred Canadian wireless partner for the launch of Windows 8
Windows Phone 8 devices available on Rogers National Reservation System starting today
TORONTO, Oct. 19, 2012 /CNW/ - Rogers Communications Inc., Canada's leading diversified communications and media company, announced today it shares an alliance with Microsoft and is the preferred Canadian wireless partner for the launch of Windows 8. Rogers will be the only mobile carrier in Canada to offer the Nokia Lumia 920, Windows Phone 8X by HTC (8GB) and the Samsung ATIV Smart PC tablet. Rogers will also retail the Windows Phone 8X by HTC (16GB) and the Samsung ATIV S Smartphone in Canada on its LTE network, the world's fastest wireless network technology.
"Rogers has a rich history of innovative firsts, and we're excited to join forces with Microsoft to bring these great new devices to Canadians," said Rob Bruce, President, Rogers Communications. "Our customers are accustomed to Rogers leading the way with exciting new mobile devices. Windows 8, powered by Rogers LTE and broadband networks, will continue this tradition and bring a powerful new multi-screen ecosystem to Canada."
As the Canadian carrier with the largest selection of LTE superphones, Rogers will offer consumers and businesses an exclusive selection of Windows Phone 8 devices and a Windows 8 tablet. Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 provides a superior user experience including compact, touch-enabled tablets and sleek superphones equipped with Near Field Communications (NFC) that could allow you to tap phones and tablets to share information and make transactions.
"We reimagined Windows to help open up a new world of experiences for our customers," said Max Long, President, Microsoft Canada Inc. "We are thrilled to have a broad-reaching relationship with Rogers to offer Canadians a premium experience across the Windows ecosystem — the amazing features that make Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 so compelling, combined with the Rogers' super-fast LTE network and exclusive mobile applications. I can't think of a better way to experience Windows across the phone, PC, tablet and Xbox."
The alliance between Rogers and Microsoft for Windows 8 builds on the companies' history of coming together to deliver innovative products and services to Canadians; most recently in 2011 with the launch of Rogers Anyplace TV On Demand on Xbox.
The alliance includes robust co-branded marketing initiatives, channel support and exclusive Rogers applications for Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 tablet, including:
- My Account on Windows 8 tablets: Launching with the Samsung ATIV smart PC tablet available via a mobile operator in Canada exclusively to Rogers customers, My Account allows you to manage your wireless account directly through an application on your Windows 8 tablet. With My Account, you can quickly select and activate a mobile internet plan, connect a tablet to the Rogers LTE network, and manage usage without having to call customer care or visit a Rogers retail location.
- Rogers Anyplace TV Live for Windows Phone 8 and Rogers Anyplace TV On Demand for Windows 8 Tablet: With the Rogers Anyplace TV Live app for Windows Phone 8, you get live games like soccer, Blue Jays baseball, basketball, hockey and tennis, and real-time news like CityNews. With the Rogers Anyplace TV On Demand app for Windows 8 tablet, you get On Demand channels, including Citytv, CBC, W Network, TMN, Teletoon, TVO Kids, HGTV Canada and movie trailers. Rogers Anyplace TV On Demand is also currently available on Xbox to Rogers customers.
- Rogers One Number for Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 Tablet: Rogers One Number, exclusively from Rogers, lets you talk, text and send picture messages and video chat with other Rogers One Number users, all from your computer, Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 tablet using your existing wireless phone number.
A selection of LTE-enabled Windows Phone 8 superphones and a Windows 8 tablet will be available to Rogers customers, including:
- Nokia Lumia 920: Offered exclusively by Rogers, the Nokia Lumia 920 Windows Phone 8 captures the best pictures and video ever seen on a smartphone. The Nokia Lumia 920 makes it possible to take clear, bright, professional-looking pictures and video indoors and at night.
- Samsung ATIV Smart PC and ATIV S Smartphone: Samsung is releasing a line of Windows devices including a Windows 8 tablet - the ATIV Smart PC™ (available from a mobile operator in Canada exclusively to Rogers customers) and the ATIV S™ smartphone. The ATIV Smart PC™ was designed with a classy sleek finish, and delivers a full Windows 8-based PC experience with superior tablet mobility. The ATIV S™ smartphone features a stunning hairline design and high performance with a range of content sharing and productivity options. The devices are simple, powerful and beautiful and powered by the Rogers LTE network.
- Windows Phone 8X by HTC: Available from Rogers in 16G and exclusively in 8G, the Windows Phone 8X by HTC offers Beats Audio™ technology which provides authentic, studio-quality sound whether you're listening to music, playing a game or watching a video.
Device availability, specifications and pricing details will be announced in the coming weeks. Rogers customers can reserve select devices on the Rogers Reservation System starting today at Rogers.com under My Account.
Rogers Communications is a diversified Canadian communications and media company. We are Canada's largest provider of wireless voice and data communications services and one of Canada's leading providers of cable television, high-speed Internet and telephony services. Through Rogers Media we are engaged in radio and television broadcasting, televised shopping, magazines and trade publications, sports entertainment, and digital media. We are publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RCI.A and RCI.B) and on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: RCI).
SOURCE: Rogers Communications Inc.
For further information:
Michelle Cameirao, Rogers Communications Inc., [email protected], (416) 935-2676
Paolo Pasquini, Microsoft Canada Inc., [email protected], (416) 573-8799