- With more tablet apps than any other Canadian publisher, Rogers Media celebrates one million downloads for its magazine apps-among them Chatelaine, Maclean's and HELLO! Canada -
- Milestone includes more than 36 apps launched, 60 eBooks published, and nine million monthly website pages viewed -
- Plus: Chatelaine's 10-Minute Fitness app goes to #1 -
TORONTO, July 10, 2013 /CNW/ - Rogers Media has reached a significant milestone: its consumer magazine replica apps for tablets have been downloaded one million times. Canada's first major magazine publisher to have every one of its consumer publications on iPad, Android and Blackberry, Rogers Media also has more tablet apps than any other Canadian publisher. In addition, Chatelaine's 10-Minute Fitness stand-alone app has been a resounding success, having reached #1 among health/fitness apps in 31 countries.
"The last few years have seen revolutionary change, innovation and digital growth within the publishing industry. From the start of this digital evolution, we have worked to deliver our premium branded content to our audiences on their preferred platform. Our successes—on the tablet, as indicated by the million downloads, and on other platforms—demonstrate that we are ahead of the curve in giving our audiences what they want," said Ryan Trotman, Digital Publisher, Rogers Digital Media.
Canada's top magazine brands—including Chatelaine, Maclean's, Sportsnet, FLARE, HELLO! Canada and several business-to-business titles—are all available on the tablet via replica apps.These full, interactive digital editions contain content in addition to what the print versions offer, including photo galleries, behind-the-scenes videos and audio tips from the editors.
Rogers Media has more tablet apps than any other Canadian publisher, and the one million downloads calculation includes only replica apps—enhanced digital versions of its print magazines. It does not include the tens of thousands of other downloads of Rogers Publishing standalone apps for tablets and smartphones.
It was back in December 2010 that the iconic Rogers Media's brand Maclean's became the first major consumer magazine in Canada to create a tablet edition. Since then, Rogers Publishing has been in accelerated digital growth mode across platforms, and less than three years later it has 22 publications on tablet, 1.3 million unduplicated unique visitors each month to its responsive-design websites, more than 60 ebook titles,14 free-standing apps, all its titles on Blackberry and Android and three iPhone Newsstand apps—several of which are topping the sales charts. Now, Rogers Media has the largest stable of eBooks and standalone apps of any Canadian magazine publisher.
Chatelaine's 10-Minute Fitness app Goes to #1
Among Rogers standalone publishing apps, the Chatelaine 10-Minute Fitness app has reached #1 in 31 countries (including Canada and many European and Asian nations) in the highly competitive fitness and health app category. On iTunes in Canada, it also reached #14 overall (competing against all apps). Launched in May 2013, it was downloaded 50,000 times in its first month.
More Digital Highlights
- Among the more than than 60 ebook titles published, the digital-only #GoodMorningEarth: Chris Hadfield went to #2 on Apple's iBookstore charts for all digital books—second only to Dan Brown's international blockbuster, Inferno
- HELLO! Canada iPhone app went to #1 on the charts at launch and has remained the #1 top free iPhone Newsstand App
- Upon launching its iPhone app in December 2012, the Maclean's iPhone app went to #1 on Newsstand on the first day, and has remained within the top 15 on Newsstand
- iTunes' recent "Best new Canadian-made content" featured six Rogers publishing iPad and iPhone apps
- Rogers Publishing websites reach 1.3 million unique visitors, 9 million page views and 2.9 million total visits a month
- All Rogers consumer titles were launched on Google Play when its newsstands went live in November and are available on all Android devices that Google Play services
Rogers Media magazine replica apps for tablet include:
- Chatelaine / Châtelaine
- HELLO! Canada • Maclean's
- Today's Parent
- LOULOU (French and English)
- Canadian Business
- plus eight business-to-business titles
Stand-alone tablet apps include:
- Chatelaine 10-Mintue Fitness
- Chatelaine Recipe Box
- Châtelaine Guide Pleine Forme
- Canadian Business Retire Happy
- Maclean's Universities Guidebook
- Maclean's Canada's Most Notorious Criminals
Rogers Media smartphone apps:
- Maclean's for iPhone
- HELLO! Canada for iPhone
- Canadian Business for iPhone
Rogers Media's best-selling eBooks:
- Maclean's: The Shafia Honour Killing Trial
- MoneySense: Guide to the Perfect Portfolio (2012)
- Maclean's: #GoodMorningEarth: Chris Hadfield
- Maclean's: Doomed: The Untold Story Behind the Collapse of the Elliot Lake Mall
- Maclean's on Justin Trudeau
Rogers Media magazine titles across all devices are available for download at: rogersmagazines.com.
About Rogers Media Inc.
Rogers Media Inc., a division of Rogers Communications (TSX: RCI; NYSE: RCI), is a diversified leading Canadian media company that engages in television and radio broadcasting, publishing, digital, and sports entertainment. Rogers Broadcasting has 55 AM and FM radio stations across Canada; television properties include seven City stations, five OMNI multicultural television stations, Sportsnet (consisting of four regional channels and the nationally distributed Sportsnet ONE, Sportsnet World, and The Score), and The Shopping Channel, a televised and internet shopping service. Rogers Publishing produces many well-known consumer and online magazines, such as Maclean's, Chatelaine, L'actualité, Canadian Business, and is the leading publisher of a number of industry, medical and financial publications. Rogers Media's suite of digital assets includes 90+ owned and 300+ premium partnership sites. Rogers Media Inc. owns Rogers Centre stadium, a year-round sports and entertainment facility, and the Toronto Blue Jays Baseball Club.
SOURCE: Rogers Media Inc.
For further information:
Louise Leger, Rogers Media, Publishing, firstname.lastname@example.org, 416.764.4125