TORONTO, April 22, 2013 /CNW/ - Rogers Communications, Canada's leading diversified communications and media company, has been named one of Canada's Greenest Employers for 2013 by Mediacorp Canada Inc. The award recognizes Rogers environmental leadership in the workplace and commitment to motivating employees to participate in meaningful environmental change.
"We are honoured to be recognized as one of Canada's Greenest Employers," said Nadir Mohamed, president and chief executive officer, Rogers Communications. "We take pride in actively engaging Rogers employees in environmentally responsible programs aimed at reducing our environmental footprint."
Rogers Voluntary Environmental Steering Committee, as well as individual employee efforts, led a number of initiatives to drive environmental leadership in the workplace. This past year, the organization took action to reduce energy and its associated greenhouse gas emissions, and increase recycling. The highlights include:
- A reduction in paper consumption thanks to less printing internally and more customers registering for online billing;
- The diversion of electronic and IT waste from landfills through programs such as our Phones for Food program;
- The continued use of trucks with GPS technology to monitor engine idle times to improve fuel-efficiency;
- The implementation of energy efficiency programs across our operations; and
- Programs across our one million square foot Brampton office which subsequently won the Civic Action Alliance's Race to Reduce Award for Action and Innovation.
In 2013, Rogers has plans to pilot a waste management program at select sites that will further reduce office waste through increasing its employees' recycling efforts.
About Rogers Communications
Rogers Communications is a diversified Canadian communications and media company. We are Canada's largest provider of wireless voice and data communications services and one of Canada's leading providers of cable television, high speed Internet and telephony services. Through Rogers Media we are engaged in radio and television broadcasting, televised shopping, magazines and trade publications, sports entertainment, and digital media. We are publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RCI.A and RCI.B) and on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: RCI). For further information about the Rogers group of companies, please visit rogers.com.
SOURCE: Rogers Communications Inc.
For further information: