OTTAWA, April 30, 2015 /CNW/ - The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency announces today that the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the proposed Roberts Bank Terminal 2 project is now available to the public. The EIS was prepared by the proponent, Port Metro Vancouver, and provides an analysis of the potential environmental effects of the project and measures to mitigate those impacts.
The Agency invites members of the public, Aboriginal groups, governments and other participants to submit their views in writing on the completeness of the information presented in the EIS as measured against the EIS Guidelines.
A resource document to assist participants in submitting comments on the completeness of the EIS is available on the public registry. All comments will be posted on the Agency's online public registry. Written comments in either official language should be sent by June 15, 2015 by mail or email to:
Debra Myles, Panel Manager – Roberts Bank Terminal 2 Project
Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
22nd Floor, 160 Elgin Street, Ottawa ON K1A 0H3
The EIS Guidelines, updated in April 2015, now include the requirement for information and analysis on the potential environmental effects of marine shipping associated with the project. Once the Agency receives the additional information on marine shipping from the proponent, a public comment period on the completeness of the marine shipping information will occur.
An opportunity for participants to comment on the sufficiency and technical merit of the EIS will be provided once the federal review panel is appointed.
- The EIS and the resource document are available on the Canadian Environmental Assessment Registry, at ceaa.gc.ca reference number 80054.
- Port Metro Vancouver proposes the construction and operation of a new three-berth marine container terminal located at Roberts Bank in Delta, approximately 35 km south of Vancouver. The proposed project, to be located next to the existing Deltaport and Westshore Terminals, would provide an additional 2.4 million twenty-foot equivalent units of container capacity per year at Roberts Bank.
- On April 17, 2015 the Review Panel Terms of Reference and the updated Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) Guidelines were made public.
- Roberts Bank Terminal 2 Project (Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency)
- Basics of Environmental Assessment (Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency)
SOURCE Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
For further information: Ted Laking, Director of Communications, Office of the Minister of the Environment, 819-997-1441; Lucille Jamault, Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency, Telephone: 613-957-0434, firstname.lastname@example.org