OTTAWA, Oct. 9, 2014 /CNW/ - The Honourable Leona Aglukkaq, Minister of the Environment and Minister responsible for the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency, today announced the referral of the proposed Robb Trend Coal Mine Expansion project in Alberta to an environmental assessment by an independent review panel.
The decision to refer the project to a review panel was made after considering its potential for significant adverse environmental effects and a recommendation by the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, the Honourable Gail Shea, that the environmental assessment be referred to a review panel.
Minister Aglukkaq has set timelines for the environmental assessment of the Robb Trend Coal Mine Expansion project as follows:
- The timeline for the review panel to be established (pre-panel phase) is 150 days (5 months) from the date of referral of the project.
- The timeline for the review panel to submit its report (panel phase) is 430 days (14 months) from the date of establishment of the review panel.
- The timeline for the federal Minister's decision statement (post-panel phase) is 150 days (5 months) from the date of submission of the review panel's report.
The above timelines do not include the time the proponent, Westmoreland Coal Company, takes to gather information required for the environmental assessment.
The federal government is currently in discussions with the Alberta Energy Regulator to identify opportunities for coordinating provincial and federal environmental assessment requirements.
- Environment Minister Leona Aglukkaq announced today the referral of the proposed Robb Trend Coal Mine Expansion project for an environmental assessment by a review panel.
- Westmoreland Coal Company is proposing to expand its Coal Valley Mine in the Coal Branch area of Alberta. The project, located near the community of Robb, would be approximately 37 km in length and would include portions of the Pembina River, Embarras River and the Erith River.
- Information on the project and the environmental assessment process is available on the Canadian Environmental Assessment Registry at ceaa.gc.ca reference #61436.
- Robb Trend Coal Mine Expansion Project (Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency)
- Basics of Environmental Assessment (Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency)
SOURCE: Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
For further information: Ted Laking, Office of the Minister of the Environment, Tel.: 819-997-1441; Lucille Jamault, Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency, Tel. : 613-957-0434, [email protected]