Canadian artist dares you to donate to a good cause
OAKVILLE, ON, Sept. 13, 2013 /CNW/ - Tim Horton Children's Foundation ambassador and Canadian country music artist Tenille, released a new music video today entitled Dare to Be, which highlights the inspiring camp experience children and youth receive at Tim Horton Children's Foundation Camps. Dare to Be is now available for purchase from iTunes, with proceeds donated to the Tim Horton Children's Foundation.
"I am extremely excited to launch my new music video today," said Tenille, ambassador, Tim Horton Children's Foundation. "I hope the video will inspire Canadians to recognize the value of the camp experience, the work of the Foundation and the positive impact it has had on thousands of children, which I have witnessed first-hand."
Tenille, the 2012 Canadian Country Music Association's (CCMA) Slaight Music Humanitarian Award recipient, has worked directly with the Foundation as a volunteer for the last two summers. During her time at camp she has been personally involved by helping Tim Horton Children's Foundation campers find their inner spark.
"Breaking the cycle of poverty and helping economically disadvantaged children aspire for a brighter future is at the heart of Tim Horton Children's Foundation," said Dave Newnham, vice president and executive director, Tim Horton Children's Foundation. "We are so fortunate to work with Tenille and we are thrilled to celebrate the release of her new music video. She is a real inspiration and role model for our campers, which is exactly what the Tim Horton Children's Foundation camp experience is about."
The Tim Horton Children's Foundation started in 1975 in Parry Sound, ON with just one camp and 200 kids. It now operates six year-round camps across North America and has served more than 180,000 kids through its innovative year-round programming. Children attend one of three types of programs offered, including a traditional summer camp (ages 9-12), a year-round camp serving schools and youth groups (ages 8-18) in the fall, winter and spring, and a five-level youth leadership program focused on building lifelong leadership skills (ages 13-18).
To purchase Dare to Be, or to make a donation, please visit www.thcf.com.
Join the conversation on Twitter and Facebook using #THCF and #DaretoBe and follow Tim Horton Children's Foundation on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/timhortonchildrensfoundation
About the Tim Horton Children's Foundation
The Tim Horton Children's Foundation (THCF) is a non-profit charitable organization founded in 1974 that is committed to providing an enriched and memorable camp experience for children and youth living in economically disadvantaged homes. The Foundation's funding comes from Tim Hortons Camp Day, fundraising activities, special events, and year-round public donations collected through counter and drive-thru coin boxes, as well as other donations. Since 1975, more than 180,000 children have attended a Foundation camp at no cost to them or their families. For more information about the Tim Horton Children's Foundation, please visit www.thcf.com.
TIM HORTON CHILDREN'S FOUNDATION FACT SHEET
1. Across Canada and the United States, one in six children (more than 17 million)1 live in economically disadvantaged homes
- The young people served by the Foundation are often isolated and excluded from the opportunities that many take for granted2
- They are twice as likely to drop out of high school and be expelled or suspended3
- They are three times as likely to have a teenage pregnancy4
2. Tim Horton himself came from an economically-disadvantaged home in Cochrane, ON
3. Since 1975, the Foundation has served more than 180,000 kids through a variety of camp programs
4. More than 65 per cent of revenue generated by the Foundation comes from Camp Day activities and Tim Hortons coin boxes
5. There are six camps across North America that run year-round programs:
- Parry Sound, Ontario (built in 1975)
- Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia (built in 1988)
- Kananaskis, Alberta (built in 1991)
- Quyon, Quebec (built in 1994)
- Campbellsville, Kentucky (built in 2001)
- St. George, Ontario (built in 2002)
6. There are three separate programs offered:
- The Summer Camp Program - a 10-day summer camp session for kids ages 9-12
- The Year Round Group Program - offers kids ages 8-18 from schools and groups serving the economically disadvantaged, a three to seven day camp experience throughout the fall, winter and spring
- The Youth Leadership Program - a five-level program for kids ages 13-18 focuses on the development of lifelong leadership skills, teamwork and independence through 10-day sessions over five successive summers
7. More than 16,000 children and youth will attend camp with the Tim Horton Children's Foundation in 2013
8. The Tim Horton Children's Foundation Carolee House Bursary Program has awarded close to $4 million in bursaries since 2002 to graduates of the Youth Leadership Program who have pursued post-secondary education.
9. The Tim Horton Children's Foundation was established in 1974 by Ron Joyce, co-founder of Tim Hortons restaurants, in honour of Tim Horton's love for children and his desire to help those less fortunate
10. The first camp in Parry Sound, ON, welcomed more than 200 campers in its first summer of operation in 1975
|1||Statistics Canada's Income in Canada 2008, Low income cut-off before tax & U.S. Bureau of the Census, Income, Poverty and Health Insurance in the United States: 2010|
|2||The Standing Senate Committee on Social Affairs, Science and Technology. In the Margins: A Call to Action on Poverty, Housing and Homelessness, December 2009, Page 29|
|3||Jeanne Brooks-Gunn and Greg J. Duncan, "The Effects of Poverty on Children" The Future of Children No. 2 (Summer/Fall 1997), 57|
|4||Brooks-Gunn and Duncan, 57|
Video with caption: "VIDEO: Tim Horton Children's Foundation ambassador and Canadian country music artist Tenille released a new music video today entitled Dare to Be.". Video available at: http://stream1.newswire.ca/cgi-bin/playback.cgi?file=20130913_C6810_VIDEO_EN_30793.mp4&posterurl=http://photos.newswire.ca/images/20130913_C6810_PHOTO_EN_30793.jpg&clientName=Tim%20Horton%20Children%27s%20Foundation&caption=VIDEO%3A%20Tim%20Horton%20Children%27s%20Foundation%20ambassador%20and%20Canadian%20country%20music%20artist%20Tenille%20released%20a%20new%20music%20video%20today%20entitled%20Dare%20to%20Be%2E&title=TIM%20HORTON%20CHILDREN%27S%20FOUNDATION%20%2D%20Rising%20Country%20Star%20Tenille%20and%20Tim%20Horton%20Children%27s%20Foundation%20&headline=Rising%20Country%20Star%20Tenille%20and%20Tim%20Horton%20Children%27s%20Foundation%20Launch%20New%20Official%20Music%20Video%20Inspired%20by%20Benefits%20of%20Camp%20Experience
Image with caption: "Canadian country music artist Tenille dares you to donate to a good cause. Purchase Dare To Be on iTunes and all proceeds go to the Tim Horton Children's Foundation. (CNW Group/Tim Horton Children's Foundation)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20130913_C6810_PHOTO_EN_30795.jpg
SOURCE: Tim Horton Children's Foundation
For further information: