CEO, Suncor Energy Inc. to be Recognized at Toronto Gala
TORONTO, Jan. 10, 2012 /CNW/ - Rick George, Chief Executive Officer, Suncor Energy Inc., will receive the 2012 Ivey Business Leader Award and address Canada's prominent business leaders at a gala dinner on October 17, 2012.
Mr. George was appointed President and Chief Executive Officer of Suncor Energy Inc. in 1991, and currently holds the Chief Executive Officer position of the company. In 1999, he was named "Outstanding CEO of the Year" after leading a remarkable business turnaround at Suncor, and received the Canadian Business Leader Award in 2000. Mr. George was appointed an Officer of the Order of Canada in December 2007 for his leadership in the development of Canada's natural resources sector, for his efforts to provide economic opportunities to Aboriginal communities and for his commitment to sustainable development.
"Rick George has all the qualities of an exemplary Canadian business leader," said Carol Stephenson, Dean of the Richard Ivey School of Business. "He is a natural leader who stands out not just as a tremendous strategic thinker, but also has a strong connection and dedication to giving back to the community. He embodies the Ivey spirit of leadership and sets a positive example we should embrace and acknowledge."
In 2008, Mr. George was inducted into the Canadian Petroleum Hall of Fame and was named Canadian Energy Person of the Year in 2011 by the Energy Council of Canada. He was also a member of the Calgary Committee to End Homelessness in 2007 and Chair of the 2008 Governor General's Canadian Leadership Conference.
Created in 1991 by the Ivey Alumni Association/Toronto Chapter, the Ivey Business Leader Award honours individuals and organizations who have made a significant contribution to the advancement of business in Canada, and reflect the ideals of the Richard Ivey School of Business.
"Rick George's accomplishments are second-to-none and he richly deserves this award," said Jill Denham, HBA '83, co-Chair of the Ivey Business Leader Award Committee. "His leadership has transformed Suncor into a true Canadian corporate success story."
The Ivey Business Leader Award, co-Chaired by Jill Denham and Paul Atkinson, HBA '86, Managing Director of Southwest Sun Inc., will be presented at a black-tie dinner at Toronto's Four Seasons Hotel. Proceeds from the event support the Ivey Alumni Association Toronto Chapter HBA and MBA Scholarships established to attract top students to the School and the Toronto Alumni Faculty Fellowship in Business Leadership.
Mr. George joins an esteemed list of past Ivey Business Leader Award recipients demonstrating leadership in both business and their communities. Past recipients of the award include:
- 2011: Ed Clark, Group President and CEO of TD Bank Group (TD)
- 2010: Peter Munk, Founder and Chairman of Barrick Gold Corporation
- 2009: Richard J. Currie, Past Chairman, BCE Inc. and former President, Loblaw Companies Limited and George Weston Limited
- 2008: Dominic D'Alessandro, President & CEO, Manulife Financial
- 2007: Claude Lamoureux, President & CEO and Robert Bertram, Executive Vice-President, Investments, Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan
- 2006: Isadore Sharp, Chairman and CEO, Four Seasons Hotels Inc.
- 2005: Peter Godsoe, former Chairman and CEO, The Bank of Nova Scotia
- 2002: Gwyn Morgan, President and CEO, EnCana Corporation
- 2001: Harrison McCain, Chairman, McCain Foods Limited, and G. Wallace McCain, Chairman, Maple Leaf Foods Inc.
- 2000: Purdy Crawford, Chairman, AT&T Canada; former Chairman Imasco and Canada Trust
- 1999: Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited, led by Prem Watsa, Chairman
- 1998: Paul Desmarais, Chairman of the Executive Committee, Power Corporation of Canada
- 1997: Frank Stronach, Chairman of the Board, Magna International Inc.
- 1996: Jean C. Monty, President and CEO, Northern Telecom Limited
- 1995: R. Jack Lawrence, Deputy Chairman, Nesbitt Burns Inc.
- 1994: Robert Nourse, President and CEO, The Bombay Company Inc.
- 1993: Cedric E. Ritchie, Chairman, The Bank of Nova Scotia
- 1992: John C. Carroll, President and CEO, Molson Breweries
- 1991: John M. Thompson, Chairman and CEO, IBM Canada Limited
About the Richard Ivey School of Business, The University of Western Ontario T
he Richard Ivey School of Business (www.ivey.ca) at The University of Western Ontario is Canada's leading provider of relevant, innovative and comprehensive business education. Drawing on extensive research and business experience, Ivey faculty provide the best classroom experience, equipping graduates with the skills and capabilities they need to tackle the leadership challenges in today's complex business world. Ivey offers world-renowned undergraduate and graduate degree programs as well as Executive Development at campuses in London (Ontario), Toronto and Hong Kong.
For further information:
Ivan Langrish, Senior Manager, Media Strategy, Richard Ivey School of Business, 416-203-0664, firstname.lastname@example.org