Hockey icon Don Cherry gets his flu shot and encourages Canadians to do the same
TORONTO, Oct. 29, 2014 /CNW/ - Today, Canadian hockey icon and broadcaster, Don Cherry, will join Warren Jeffery, Chief Operating Officer at Rexall and representatives from COLD-FX, at the Queen St. and University Ave. store, where he will get his flu shot. Rexall is once again making it easy and convenient for Canadians to receive the flu shot by offering the vaccine at any store, any time, any day – no appointment necessary.
Getting the flu shot is the best way to prevent the flu. According to the Public Health Agency of Canada, the flu affects 10 to 20 per cent of Canadians each year. While the majority who become sick do recover, it is estimated that approximately 12,200 are hospitalizations and, on average, 3,500 Canadians die each year.1 Publicly funded flu shots will be available at every Rexall store as supply is made available by public health units.
"We know that easier access to vaccinations will improve immunizations rates in Canada. That's why Rexall is making it as easy as possible for patients to get their flu shot at any of our stores, any time, any day and you don't need an appointment," said Jeffery. "The expanded scope of services being provided by pharmacists, such as flu shots, can have a significant impact on the health and well-being of Canadians and the broader health care system."
In addition to the flu shot, many Canadians take supplements like COLD-FX to stay healthy during flu season. With over 10 years of research, COLD-FX is clinically proven to reduce the frequency, severity and duration of cold and flu symptoms. It is the only cold and flu product on the market to contain the active ingredient CVT-E002TM, a specific isolate from the root of North American ginseng that is derived through a patented ChemBioPrint® technology. COLD-FX has recently obtained market authorization to provide further reduction of cold and flu symptoms when taken with a flu shot.
"The evidence is in and its clear - if you take COLD-FX daily and get your flu shot, you can further reduce your chance of getting cold and flu symptoms," Gaurav Singh, Senior Brand Manager for COLD-FX. Our partnership with Rexall is an excellent complement to our mutual goal this flu season, which is to help Canadians stay and feel healthy. In addition, Don Cherry has been a long-time advocate of COLD-FX and we're proud to have him here sharing his line of defence – COLD-FX plus the flu shot."
There are a number of other simple steps to prevent the spread of the flu virus including:
- Wash your hands frequently. Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds to help remove bacteria and viruses. Wash before and after eating, after you have been in a public place, after using the washroom, after coughing and sneezing, and after touching surfaces that may have been contaminated. An alcohol-based hand sanitizer is also effective in killing viruses.
- Keep your hands away from your face. In most cases, the flu virus enters the body through the eyes, nose or mouth.
- Cough and sneeze into your arm, not your hand. If you use a tissue, dispose of it as soon as possible and wash your hands.
- Keep common surface areas clean and disinfected. Doorknobs, light switches, telephones, keyboards and other surfaces can become contaminated with all kinds of bacteria and viruses. Regular cleaning and disinfecting of these surfaces with regular household disinfectants can help. Viruses can live on hard surfaces for up to 48 hours.
- If you get sick, stay home. If you think you have the flu, you should stay home until your symptoms are gone. If your symptoms get worse, call your health care provider.
About Rexall - With a heritage dating back to 1904, Rexall and Rexall Pharma Plus pharmacies are among the most trusted names in retail pharmacy. Rexall is focused on helping Canadians feel good about their health through easy access to a wide assortment of health and wellness services and products. Supported by our team of over 9,000 employees in over 456 pharmacies across the country, Rexall is continually evolving to enhance the customer experience. For more information visit Rexall.ca.
Follow us on Twitter:
Like us on Facebook:
For further information: Derek Tupling, 905-501-7894 - Office, 647-282-1689 - Mobile