THORNHILL, ON, April 1, 2014 /CNW/ - Your car survived one of the coldest winters in the past two decades and with the spring thaw on the horizon there are a few simple things every driver can do to make sure their car is ready for the road this spring.
CAA South Central Ontario (CAA SCO) is reminding drivers about the importance of properly maintaining their vehicles.
"Your car can take a beating in harsh winters. Road salt and sand can damage your paint job and the frigid temperatures can cause hoses and belts to crack or fray," said Ryan Peterson, Automotive Supervisor, CAA SCO.
CAA SCO spring car care basics:
- Change your oil (according to the owner's manual recommendations) and keep fluids like brake, coolant and windshield washer, topped up.
- Wash away the signs of winter. Give your vehicle a thorough cleaning to remove salt and sand accumulated over winter. Clean under the hood and wheel wells.
- When the temperatures hit 7C consistently, switch back to your all-seasons tires. Rotate your tires to prevent uneven wear. Your front tires take the brunt of the work.
- Make sure your tire pressure is within specifications. The owner's manual will have recommendations. The information can also be found on the driver's door jam, fuel filler or glove box door.
- Check your wiper blades and replace if they are worn or damaged.
- Fix any small scratches caused by road salt or rocks with touch up paint.
- Consider rust proofing your vehicle.
- Get a thorough check up at a CAA Approved Service Repair Service facility.
CAA Battery Service technicians can test your battery, sell and install a new one on the spot if needed. We will even recycle your old battery for free.
For over a hundred years, CAA has been helping Canadians stay mobile, safe and protected. CAA South Central Ontario is one of nine auto clubs across Canada providing roadside assistance, automotive care, travel products, insurance services and member savings for more than 1.9 million members.
SOURCE: CAA South Central Ontario
For further information: For further information: Silvana Aceto, Media and PR Consultant, CAA SCO, email@example.com, Office: (905) 771-3194, Cell: (416) 209-4930 or Jeff Lemoine, Communications Consultant, CAA SCO, firstname.lastname@example.org, Office: (905) 771-4709, Cell: (416) 254-0641.