TORONTO, May 28, 2019 /CNW/ - Fifteen of Canada's most innovative retailers took home top accolades tonight at the 2019 Excellence in Retailing Awards Gala (ERA), a highlight of Retail Council of Canada's (RCC) STORE 2019 conference in Toronto. In addition to the ERA honorees, three Awards of Distinction were also presented and seventeen Retail as a Career Scholarships were awarded at the gala dinner attended by Canada's retailing elite.
The Excellence in Retailing Awards program, with thanks to presenting sponsor KPGM, is recognized as the pinnacle of achievement and industry recognition across all aspects and retail categories. Competition for the coveted ERA trophies was especially fierce this year with ties for first place being seen in an unprecedented three categories: In-Store Experience & Design, Philanthropic Leadership and, Pop-Up Experience and Design. Winning first place honours for a second year in a row were Canadian Tire Corporation for In-Store Merchandising and Kitchen Stuff Plus for Retail Marketing.
"Retailers in Canada are motivated by the challenge of change. They are constantly innovating and proving their winning creativity," said Diane J. Brisebois, President and CEO of Retail Council of Canada. "The year's ERA recipients have demonstrated ingenuity and steadfast commitment to superior customer service, progressive business solutions, and operational leadership."
Ms. Brisebois added: "I also join the industry in saluting the recipients of this year's prestigious Awards of Distinction. All of them have made game-changing contributions and leave a lasting, positive imprint on their employees, customers, peers and the communities they serve. Retail in Canada is better because of them and their vision, passion and business acumen."
To view the complete list of this year's winners, visit: http://www.retailawards.ca/2019-winners
Excellence in Retailing Awards Winners
Sponsored by: Interac Association
- Environmental Leadership
- IKEA Canada
Sponsored by: Call2Recycle
- Health, Safety and Wellness
- Walmart Canada
- In-Store Experience & Design (two winners tied for first place)
- Andrew Peller Limited
- Staples Canada
Sponsored by: Imaged Advertising Creations (IAC)
- In-Store Merchandising
- Canadian Tire Corporation – Winner in this category of a 2nd year in a row!
- Loss Prevention
- London Drugs Limited
- Best Buy Canada
Sponsored by: Dunnhumby
- Philanthropic Leadership (two winners tied for first place)
- Lowe's Canada
- Sobeys Inc.
- Pop-Up Experience and Design
- Purolator Inc.
- Retail Marketing (two winners tied for first place)
- Kitchen Stuff Plus - Winner in the category for a 2nd year in a row!
- Federated Co-operatives Limited
Sponsored by: KPMG LLP
- Talent Development
- Cannabis NB
Sponsored by: Graff Retail
2019 Awards of Distinction Recipients:
- 2019 Canadian Hall of Fame Award
- Presented to KPMG's Willy Kruh, Partner, Global Chair Consumer & Retail, Partner-in-Charge High Growth Markets for 30 years of outstanding service leading the largest Canadian and global retailers and consumer brands and demonstrating an unwavering commitment to advancing and promoting retail as a career.
- 2019 Distinguished Canadian Retailer of the Year Award
- Presented to Best Buy's Ron Wilson who has been recognized by his industry peers as a retail leader that has led his company to outstanding business success and innovation and has consistently demonstrated community involvement and support.
Sponsored by: Salesforce
- 2018 Independent Retail Ambassador of the Year Award
- Presented to Poppy Barley, founded by Edmonton-based sister-duo Kendall and Justine Barber for their visionary approach to bringing the craftsmanship of traditional footwear industry to consumers who are looking for outstanding products that more socially conscious consumer.
- Also recognized at the Gala were the 17 Retail Education Scholarship Program winners. Top two awards when to:
- Jacqueline Chung : Interac Association Scholarship ($5000.00
Sponsored by: Interac
- Sean Reibling: Canadian Retail Hall of Fame Scholarship Winner ($3000.00)
Sponsored by: Retail Council of Canada and its members
About Retail Council of Canada
Retail is Canada's largest private sector employer with over 2.1 million Canadians working in our industry. The sector annually generates over $76 billion in wages and employee benefits. Core retail sales (excluding vehicles and gasoline) were $375 billion in 2018. Retail Council of Canada (RCC) members represent more than two-thirds of core retail sales in the country. RCC is a not-for-profit industry-funded association that represents small, medium and large retail businesses in every community across the country. As the Voice of Retail™ in Canada, we proudly represent more than 45,000 storefronts in all retail formats, including department, grocery, specialty, discount, independent retailers and online merchants. RetailCouncil.org
SOURCE Retail Council of Canada
For further information: Branka Stavric, Senior Director, Marketing and Communications, firstname.lastname@example.org | 416.467.3772, Retail Council of Canada