LAVAL, QC, Sept. 26, 2013 /CNW Telbec/ - Enviro-access has given the Société de transport de Laval their CARBON CARE™ Certification for 2012. This honour proves its dedication to the responsible management of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions through the implementation of several sustainable development initiatives over the past few years.
Enviro-access is one of three Canadian centres working for the advancement of environmental technology. It supports the development of businesses and innovative projects that contribute to improving the quality of the environment and sustainable development.
This is the first survey of this type for the STL in a year that saw its ridership reach 20,638,602 trips in 2012 - an increase of 2.6%.
"The CARBON CARE™ Certification is recognition for all the hard work we have accomplished up to now, and it encourages us to continue pursuing these initiatives" says Guy Picard, General Manager of the STL. The STL is an important stakeholder in the goal to reduce greenhouse gases by 50% per capita for transportation in Laval by 2031 and by 25% by 2020 for the current provincial government. This certification once again confirms that we are moving in the right direction."
Requirements and accomplishments
The STL has met all the requirements needed to receive this recognition including taking an inventory of its GHG emissions to meet the ISO 14064-1 standard and of its direct and indirect emissions.
Over the past few years, the STL's dedication to improving the energy efficiency of the services it offers to the people of Laval is a point of great pride. It has also been working hard to implement internal practices that respect the environment.
Here are some of the actions taken by the STL to reduce its environmental footprint that were recognized by Enviro-access:
- Acquiring 48 buses that met the 2010 EPA standards in 2010 and 2011.
- Implementing the CLIC carpooling project and aiming to replace 40 gas fuelled cars with 10 electric cars by 2011.
- Acquiring a new 100% electric bus.
- Reducing fuel consumption of buses by adding electric fans.
- Using B5 biodiesel in its buses.
- Purchasing three new Westmatic bus washing stations that use 85% recycled water and 15% fresh water.
- Obtaining level 3 certification in the ICI ON RECYCLE program which is reserved for establishments where the reduction, re-use and recycling of materials have created a waste recovery rate of 80% or greater.
- Using recycled parts and products.
- Implementing the responsible management of waste batteries.
- Reconditioning mechanical parts including motors, transmissions, drivers' seats and mirrors.
- Retreading tires.
Through research and study on new methods of transportation, the gradual electrification of its vehicles, its positioning on encouraging carpooling and riding bicycles, the STL has contributed to improving economic vitality, quality of life and environmental protection in Laval. The certification was given to us as a part of In Town Without My Car day when 12 947 people took advantage of our special $1 fare. That particular day showed an increased ridership of 5.69%, or an additional 4,586 trips, which means there were 2,000 fewer vehicles on the road in Laval.
The STL, taking action
- The STL is responsible for over 20 million trips annually.
- The STL has rolled out the STL Synchro system to keep its clients informed in real time about its schedules and buses.
- The STL's fare policy is geared to encourage families to use public transit: an adult who pays a regular fare during the week or on statutory holidays can be accompanied by up to five children under the age of 12 for free. This policy is also applicable on smog days between July 1st and Labour Day. The $1 reduced fare on smog days during the summer period is a first in Quebec.
- The STL has partnered with the Association québécoise de lutte contre la pollution atmosphérique, Communauto and the Réseau de covoiturage to encourage the use of sustainable transportation in Laval.
- We are using our Facebook and Twitter accounts to share our news and travel notices.
- We created My STL to offer our clients the opportunity to receive updates about their regular bus lines and to find out what's new at the STL.
- Since the launch of our Operational support and user information system in 2009, we have increased our punctuality rate to nearly 90 %.
- The STL has received several awards and distinctions including the AQTr'S Grand prix d'excellence en transport en commun in 2010, which solidified our reputation for excellence.
- In 2011, the STL took the AQTr Communication Grand Public prize for its Smog alert program.
- In May 2012, the STL received the CUTA Prix de leadership des entreprises in the Innovation category for the CLIC carpooling project.
- In May 2013, the AQTr awarded the STL their Coup de cœur du jury d'honneur award for two projects: The Operational support and user information system for paratransit (OSIS) and CLIC the electric carpooling project launched in conjunction with the AMT.
- In June 2013, CUTA honoured the STL with two Corporate Leadership Awards: one in the Innovation category for our Operational support and user information system for paratransit (OSIS) and the other in the Marketing and Communications category for the "Let's Develop Together" contest!
- In May 2012, the STL launched its new STL Sustainable mobility solution for businesses and organizations that are conscious of managing the travels of their employees more efficiently.
- In November 2012, the STL signed the International Union of Public Transport's (IUPT) Charter on Sustainable Development.
- In March 2013, the STL became the first transportation company in Quebec to be a certified "Healthy Enterprise"!
Image with caption: "From left to right: Gheorghe Munteanu, Corporate Advisor, Planning and development, STL; Guy Picard, General Manager, STL; Maude Lauzon-Gosselin, Project Manager, Enviro-Access; Pierre Lavigueur, Senior Director, Development, Marketing and innovation, STL (CNW Group/Société de transport de Laval)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20130926_C5033_PHOTO_EN_31433.jpg
SOURCE: Société de transport de Laval
For further information:
Communications and marketing Director
Société de transport de Laval