OTTAWA, June 27, 2018 /CNW/ - The Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) and the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) in the United Kingdom have awarded 10 Knowledge Synthesis Grants totalling over C$280,000 (over £161,000) to assess the state of research knowledge on Canada-UK trade relationships.
The unique competition supports projects led by researchers based in Canada and the UK working together to synthesize existing knowledge and identify research strengths and gaps around Canada-UK trade relations.
The projects cover diverse issues, such as governance, inclusion, labour, the environment, and technological and digital transformations. The resulting findings will help in understanding and enhancing future trading relationships, and will support evidence-based decision-making and policy development.
In July 2018, a workshop in Ottawa, Canada, will draw award holders and key stakeholders from across the business, community and government sectors together to discuss the proposed projects and further cross-sectoral international connections.
A second workshop in London, England, in December will focus on the resulting findings and how they can contribute to strengthening Canada-UK trade relationships.
"SSHRC's and the ESRC's joint efforts will advance understanding of Canada-UK trade relations and help meet the goals of the 2017 memorandum of understanding on science, technology and innovation between Canada and the UK. Research collaborations such as this one create opportunities for international research teams to join forces and address emerging societal issues in a global context."
—Ted Hewitt, President, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada
"The recipients of these grants will make a powerful contribution to what we know and understand about UK-Canada trade relations. Their evidence and insight will help to inform future decisions about further strengthening the trade relationship between our two countries, which is so important for our mutual prosperity. This important initiative also marks the next step in the joint efforts by the ESRC and SSHRC to enable and enhance collaborative work on our shared strategic priorities."
—Jennifer Rubin, Executive Chair of the Economic and Social Research Council
- SSHRC is the Canadian research funding agency that promotes and supports postsecondary-based research and talent development in the humanities and social sciences.
- The ESRC is part of UK Research and Innovation, a new organization that brings together the UK's seven research councils, Innovate UK and Research England to maximize the contribution of each council and create the best environment for research and innovation to flourish. The vision is to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
- The ESRC is the UK's largest funder of research on the social and economic questions facing us today. It supports the development and training of the UK's future social scientists and also funds major studies that provide the infrastructure for research. ESRC-funded research informs policy-makers and practitioners and helps make businesses, voluntary bodies and other organizations more effective.
- This international funding opportunity supports the goals of SSHRC's Imagining Canada's Future initiative, and aligns with the future challenge area "What knowledge will Canada need to thrive in an interconnected, evolving global landscape?"
- This opportunity supports the goals of the ESRC's portfolio of international programs. The ESRC aims to explore new collaborative activities with SSHRC as part of the ESRC's international strategy. With this goal in mind, the ESRC and SSHRC have been exploring a portfolio of activities that lower barriers to collaboration between Canadian- and UK- based researchers and enable collaborative work on mutual, strategic priorities.
- Knowledge Synthesis Grants: Understanding the future of Canada-UK trade relationships award recipients
- Knowledge Synthesis Grants: Understanding the future of Canada-UK trade relationships funding opportunity description
- Energy and natural resources Knowledge Synthesis Grant award report
- Emerging technologies Knowledge Synthesis Grant award report
- New ways of learning Knowledge Synthesis Grant award report
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (Canada)
- Economic and Social Research Council (UK)
- About Imagining Canada's Future
Follow SSHRC on Twitter: @SSHRC_CRSH
Follow ESRC on Twitter: @ESRC
Follow Canadian science on Twitter: @CDNScience
SOURCE Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada
For further information: Julia Gualtieri, Media Relations Advisor, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, Tel.: 1-613-325-2656, [email protected]; Sarah Nichols, Deputy Head of Communications and Senior Press Manager, Economic and Social Research Council, Tel.: 01793 41 3049, [email protected]