TORONTO, March 22, 2016 /CNW/ - Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Metrolinx have issued a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for interested parties to build and finance the Lakeshore East – East Corridor Expansion project. The infrastructure upgrades are required to accommodate the planned expansion of GO Transit rail service on the Lakeshore East line.
The RFQ outlines the scope of work required, which includes:
- Right-of-Way (ROW) works to construct 11 kilometers of third track infrastructure between Beechgrove Road and Durham Junction
- Expansion and upgrade of two rail bridges at Rouge River and Highland Creek
- Expansion and rehabilitation of existing culverts
- Construction of retaining walls to support additional track grading for the corridor
This project is part of Metrolinx's work in support of GO Regional Express Rail (RER). GO RER will provide faster, more frequent and more convenient transit service across the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA), including electrification of core segments of the GO rail network by 2024-25. The program will provide new travel choices for commuters, significantly increase transit ridership, cut journey times and help manage congestion across the GTHA.
Major infrastructure updates are required to bring this level of service to communities across the region, including: adding track, modifying GO stations, improving rail crossings, building required systems for electrification and adding new locomotives and train control systems.
The RFQ is the first step in the procurement process to select a team to deliver the project. IO and Metrolinx will evaluate submissions to prequalify project teams with the relevant construction experience. Teams that qualify will be invited to respond to a request for proposals in summer 2017. Interested companies must register with www.merx.com to download the RFQ.
Ontario is making the largest infrastructure investment in hospitals, schools, public transit, roads and bridges in the province's history. To learn more about what's happening in your community, go to Ontario.ca/BuildON.
- According to Ontario's 2017 Long-Term Report on the Economy, every $1 spent on public infrastructure has been shown to increase GDP by $6 in the long term.
- Infrastructure Ontario, collaborating with Metrolinx, is leading the procurement of the Lakeshore East – East Corridor Expansion project.
- The project is being delivered using IO's Alternative Financing and Procurement (AFP) model, an innovative way of financing and procuring large, complex public infrastructure projects.
- Projects that are delivered using IO's AFP model have a track record of being 96 per cent on budget and 73 per cent on time or within one month of the scheduled substantial completion date.
"Our government is putting shovels in the ground and delivering on much-needed transit and transportation projects like GO Regional Express Rail – a transformative plan that is getting you to work, school, and home to your loved ones faster than ever before. Infrastructure improvements and upgrades like those announced today are another meaningful step forward in our plan, enabling us to provide you with faster and more frequent GO service."
Steven Del Duca, Minister of Transportation
"GO Regional Express Rail will significantly improve transit service across the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area, raising the level of service and providing commuters with added choice and convenience. Shorter journey times will not only help transit users, they will lead to increased transit ridership and help manage congestion across the entire region."
Bob Chiarelli, Minister of Infrastructure
"Expanding track infrastructure, upgrading bridges, and other identified infrastructure work along the Lakeshore East GO line is the next step in our plan to improve transit across the region. These improvements will allow us to proceed with the Regional Express Rail transformation, bringing residents of the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area a faster and more efficient way to travel."
Bruce McCuaig, President and CEO, Metrolinx
"The Lakeshore East - East Corridor Expansion project is an important component to help deliver the RER program. IO looks forward to reviewing the submissions by the market for this AFP project."
Ehren Cory, President and CEO, Infrastructure Ontario
Disponible en français
SOURCE Infrastructure Ontario
For further information: Bianca Lankheit, Infrastructure Ontario, 416-326-0636; Anne Marie Aikins, Metrolinx, 416-202-5796