CALGARY, Jan. 7, 2019 /CNW/ - Reeves College students, instructors, and staff raised 780 items for local food banks over the holidays.
As part of the college's annual Holiday Food Drive, the five campuses across Alberta spent December gathering non-perishables. In addition, Reeves College is giving $258 to Food Banks Canada.
With the demands on food banks being so high, supporting those in need brought together everyone at Reeves College. Over 800,000 people in Canada use food banks each month. Many of those recipients are children.
While the holiday season is a popular time to donate, food banks are looking for support year-round. If you'd like to make a donation, here are items that are in-demand:
- Pasta (canned or dry) and pasta sauces
- Canned and frozen meats and fish
- Meat alternatives – peanut butter, soy, and assorted nuts
- Canned goods – beans, soups, and stews
- Dairy – fresh, canned, and powdered milk
- Canned vegetables and fruit
- Whole grain cereals
- Infant foods and baby formula
- Bathroom tissue and diapers
- Personal hygiene products
- Financial donations to help food banks buy fresh foods, including milk, proteins, and produce
SOURCE Reeves College
For further information: Stephen Thomson, firstname.lastname@example.org, 604-915-7288 ext. 2132