New Study Shows RVing in Canada Contributes $14.5 Billion
OTTAWA, Feb. 21, 2013 /CNW/ - The Recreation Vehicle Dealers Association (RVDA) of Canada is releasing a groundbreaking study, showcasing the economic impact of the Canadian recreation vehicle (RV) industry.
The study, conducted by Harris/Decima, showcased that in 2011, the total economic activity associated with the Canadian recreation vehicle industry reached $14.5 billion.
"This is a significant finding, demonstrating that not only is RVing in Canada an exceptional way to travel, offering accessibility, convenience and ease of use, but it also has a considerable impact on the Canadian economy," said Ian Moore, RVDA of Canada Chairman of the Board. "Through both direct and indirect means, this impact is multi‐faceted, and includes the manufacturing of RVs, purchasing and servicing of RVs at RV dealerships, expenditures made to maintain and store RVs, and the personal spending of RV users as they travel across Canada."
In order to determine the level of economic activity supported by the RV industry in Canada, the impacts of RVs were broken down through four distinct domains. Key findings are outlined below:
RV Retail Sales and Service:
- In total, the retail sales and services associated with Canada's more‐than‐400 recreation vehicle dealers generated $1.5 billion in net economic activity (GDP) throughout Canada, and supported nearly 19,300 jobs that paid $775 million in wages and salaries (labour income).
- The total value of recreation vehicles manufactured in Canada in 2011 was $265 million, with $156 million being purchased by Canadians and $109 million being exported to other countries. In turn, a total of $210 million in goods and services were imported to Canada as part of the economic activity associated with RV manufacturing.
- The manufacture of $265 million in recreation vehicles generated $512 million in gross output in Canada in 2011 and supported nearly 2,400 jobs that paid a total of $103 million in wages and salaries.
Non‐Travel Related RV Expenditures:
- Non‐travel related recreation vehicle expenditures totalled $1.4 billion (excluding repairs) and generated $1.3 billion in net economic activity (GDP) throughout Canada through the support of more than 12,200 jobs that paid $727 million in wages and salaries.
Tourism Related RV Expenditures:
- It was estimated that RV travellers spent a total of over $7 billion on goods and services as they travelled across Canada.
- Travel related expenditures associated with recreation vehicles generated nearly $5.0 billion in net economic activity (GDP) across Canada and supported $2.9 billion in wages and salaries (Labour Income) through 64,900 jobs.
- The total economic activity associated with recreation vehicle tourism expenditures was $9.8 billion in 2011.
In sum, direct spending associated with recreation vehicles reached $11.5 billion. These expenditures generated $8.0 billion in net economic activity (GDP) and 98,800 jobs. Moreover, the Canadian RV industry was a significant driver of tax revenues, with total taxes supported by the industry totaling $3.3 billion in taxes on products, taxes on production, and income taxes.
"The RV industry continues to be a fast growing and favourable lifestyle for Canadian families," continued Moore. "RVing really is for everyone; people of all ages, all family types, and all budgets enjoy the benefits of traveling in a recreational vehicle, and we are seeing that a record number of Canadian families are discovering the fun and flexible travel that the RV lifestyle provides."
"The RVDA of Canada looks forward to continuing to work with government and key stakeholders to ensure that proactive roles are being taken to develop policies that support all travel and tourism, and recognize RVing as a prosperous tourism activity," concluded Moore.
To view the full report, please visit www.rvda.ca.
The Recreation Vehicle Dealers Association of Canada is a national, volunteer federation of provincial and regional RVDA associations and their members, who have united to form a professional trade association for all businesses involved in the recreation vehicle industry.
SOURCE: Recreation Vehicle Dealers Association of Canada
For further information:
or to arrange an interview, please contact:
(613) 233-8906 (office)
(613) 299-4017 (cell)