TORONTO, Dec. 14, 2017 /CNW/ - TrustedPros Inc. has discovered that almost 70% of Canadian Contractors say that homeowners do not do enough research before hiring a home renovation professional.
The majority of respondents (60%) say that a small fraction (between 0% - 5%) of their clients actually ask to see their credentials. Meanwhile, less than 5% of respondents say that their clients always ask to see these credentials.
Home Renovation Due Diligence Survey Findings, 2017
- 69.6% of contractors report that their clients don't ask to see their trade licenses.
- 20.3% of these respondents work in compulsory trades.
- 40% say that their clients never mention vetting their contractor's trade license.
- 71.4% of contractors say that their clients haven't asked to see their business license.
- 86.1% say that their clients never mention verifying their license with the municipality.
- 68.1% of respondents report that their clients ask to see their liability insurance.
- 71.9% say that their clients don't tell them that they've verified their liability insurance.
Worker's Compensation Insurance (WCI)
- 59% of contractors say that their clients ask to see their WCI.
- 71.9% say that their clients don't tell them that they've verified their WCI number.
The data suggests that homeowners may not be performing enough research before hiring a contractor. This could lead to poor hiring decisions and costly mistakes, which are common and serious issues in the home renovation industry.
Contractors say that their clients do not always ask about their credentials, nor mention that they have vetted them. Homeowners may not fully understand industry regulations, or they may be misinformed by shady contractors' deceiving business practices.
We encourage homeowners to utilize resources provided by TrustedPros, contractors, and provincial trade and insurance boards to improve their industry awareness.
About the Survey
TrustedPros anonymously surveyed 395 Canadian contractors who use the platform.
Participants answered mandatory questions regarding how often their clients ask to see their trade license, business license, WCI, and liability insurance, and how often their clients mention that they've vetted these credentials.
SOURCE TrustedPros Inc.
For further information: firstname.lastname@example.org, 855-890-7767 x304