VANCOUVER, Jan. 9, 2014 /CNW/ - (TSX: L): With the growing multicultural society in Canada exotic spices and foods from around the world, especially from Asia, are having a direct influence on our cuisine and culture. In fact, according to Statistics Canada, the Chinese population in Canada is estimated to grow by 27 per cent in the next ten years. Adding to the already impressive assortment of international foods available at Real Canadian Superstore® locations, select new T&T® brand products are now in-store making it easier than ever to celebrate Chinese New Year on January 31st.
"At Real Canadian Superstore, we are committed to reflecting our nation's diversity," says Chris Fisher, vice-president, Multicultural Merchandising, Loblaw Companies Limited. "We believe the products we sell should reflect the rich ethnic diversity of our customers and reflect a variety of tastes and traditions from around the world."
For over 20 years, the T&T® brand has brought Asian-Canadian families the authentic Asian foods they love. The first T&T® Supermarket was built to provide Asian immigrants a modern, comfortable shopping environment for their favourite homeland food. All T&T® brand foods are personally taste-tested by Cindy Lee, president of T&T® Supermarket, for flavour and authenticity.
"Over the years I've seen how Canadians love to embrace and experience a variety of diverse cultures and traditions," says Cindy Lee, CEO, T&T® Supermarket. "Food is an integral part of Chinese cultural celebrations. Our T&T® brand products make it easy to experience traditional Asian dishes with family and friends for Chinese New Year."
Create your very own unique Chinese New Year menu for guests using new T&T® products:
- T&T® Philippine Dried Mangoes: These dried mangoes originated from the Philippines' famous mango city, Cebu. The warm, sultry climate and fertile soil of Cebu make it ideal for producing the most delicious mango variety. Lush, creamy and aromatic, these mangoes are a unique blend of sweetness and tartness. Use them for a garnish in salads or as a substitute for other dried fruits.
- T&T® Dried Shiitake Mushrooms: The quality and rich flavour of T&T® Dried Shiitake Mushrooms is signified by their large cap, fissures and thickness. With a long shelf life, these mushrooms rehydrate quickly in warm water and are great to enjoy on their own or in your favourite mushroom recipes.
- T&T® Senbei Rice Cracker: Senbei rice crackers are made with the best rice from Thailand and are a type of Japanese rice crackers that come in various shapes, sizes and flavours. Senbei are often eaten as a snack with green tea and offered to visiting house guests as a courtesy refreshment or can be used to make your favourite canapés or hors d'oeuvres.
- T&T® Biscuit Egg Roll: This traditional street food of Hong Kong and Asia is made with flaky egg dough from simple but fresh ingredients. Try these biscuits as a delicious complement to ice cream.
- Real Canadian Superstore® locations will also be carrying a wide assortment of fresh quality Asian produce for Chinese New Year including Pomelos, Chinese Mini Mandarins, Guava, Star Fruit, Long Beans and more.
Select T&T® brand products are also available at Real Canadian Superstore®, nofrills®, Your Independent Grocer® and Extra Foods® locations in Western Canada.
A full assortment of T&T® brand products can be found at T&T® Supermarkets. Visit www.tnt-supermarket.com to find the nearest location.
About Loblaw Companies LimitedTSX:L
Loblaw Companies Limited, a subsidiary of George Weston Limited, is Canada's largest food retailer and a leading provider of drugstore, general merchandise and financial products and services. Loblaw is one of the largest private sector employers in Canada. With more than 1,000 corporate and franchised stores from coast to coast, Loblaw and its franchisees employ more than 134,000 full-time and part-time employees. Through its portfolio of store formats, Loblaw is committed to providing Canadians with a wide, growing and successful range of products and services to meet the everyday household demands of Canadian consumers. Loblaw is known for the quality, innovation and value of its food offering. It offers Canada's strongest control (private) label program, including the unique President's Choice®, no name® and Joe Fresh® brands. In addition, the Company makes available to consumers President's Choice Financial® services and offers the PC® points and PC Plus™ loyalty program.
SOURCE: Loblaw Companies Limited
For further information: For more information and images or to arrange an interview, please contact: Loblaw Public Relations at [email protected], (905) 459-2500