Grow a Mo, Move or Host a Mo-ment from 1st – 30th November and stop men dying too young
TORONTO, Nov. 1, 2018 /CNW/ - This November, the Movember Foundation returns with its annual month-long fundraiser challenging men across Canada to grow a moustache to raise awareness and funds for prostate cancer, testicular cancer, mental health and suicide prevention. To date, through the moustaches grown, connections created, and conversations generated, the Movember Foundation has proudly welcomed over five million supporters and helped fund 1,200 innovative men's health projects across twenty countries. Nearly 300 of those right here in Canada. But there is still much work to be done. Join us today and register at Movember.com.
In Canada, the stats are shocking – eleven men die each day from prostate cancer, and 21,300 men will be diagnosed with the disease this year. Eight men a day take their own life, and three out of four suicides are by men. Testicular cancer is the most common cancer in young men and although in most cases the outcome for men with testicular cancer is positive, a 95% chance of survival is no comfort to the one man in twenty who won't make it.
"When it comes to their health, too many men don't feel like they have the support to talk, don't act, and die too young", said Ken Aucoin, Country Director, Movember Foundation. "We encourage men to be aware of their health risks and take action on their health. We hope that the conversations generated from coast to coast this Movember will give men the courage to do just that."
There are three main ways to join in on this hairy month:
- GROW your Mo: At the beginning of the month, men are encouraged to shave their faces clean and grow their moustache for the 30 days of Movember. If they're not willing to part with all of their beloved facial hair, they can also sacrifice a beard into a moustache and let that grow for the rest of the month. The Mo is our ribbon for men's health, and the idea is to wear it proudly!
- Let's MOVE: Can't grow a moustache? That's okay. We're encouraging everyone who doesn't feel like getting hairy to take on a MOVE challenge throughout the month of Movember by committing to walking or running 60km throughout the month of Movember for the 60 men who die by suicide every hour, globally. When you break it down, that's 2KM every day – enough to walk to work, or get off the bus a few stops early on your way home
- HOST a Mo-Ment: There's nothing better than getting together with your friends for a good cause. Plan a quiz night, a hockey tournament, or a fun party for your friends.
- DONATE: You can support the efforts of your friends, colleagues, local first responders or sports teams by visiting Movember.com.
Movember's 2018 partners in Canada include Moore's, Saxx, Tommy Gun's, Lyft, Running Room and L'Oreal – Men Expert.
Tips for growing a Mo'
- Be prepared: Choose the moustache that will grace your face. Trucker, regent, connoisseur or wisp?
- Be brave: The first few days, even weeks, can be uncomfortable as your Mo takes shape. Ride it out to encourage donations.
- Ignore the itching: Remind yourself that men have endured worse in the past. You can stand a little face tickle.
- Shape your moustache: Get across all the proper grooming techniques. A great Mo comes down to great grooming.
- Nurture it and keep it clean: Look after your Mo, and your Mo will look after you.
For more information, visit Movember.com.
About the Movember Foundation
The Movember Foundation has one goal: to stop men dying too young. As the leading charity changing the face of men's health, the Foundation supports the following causes: prostate cancer, testicular cancer, mental health and suicide prevention. Since 2003, the support of more than 5 million men and women has funded over 1,200 innovative projects across 20 countries. To donate or learn more, please visit Movember.com.
SOURCE Movember Canada
For further information: For media inquiries, please contact: Jo-Anne Stayner, Fresh Public Relations, firstname.lastname@example.org, 604.603.0657