ST. JOHN'S, NL, Sept. 17, 2014 /CNW/ - Offshore supply operations in Newfoundland and Labrador will be safer and more efficient as a result of an investment of $300,000 from the Research & Development Corporation (RDC), and $651,950 from Rolls-Royce Canada Limited and industry partners. The collaborative investment will support the development of a new intelligent winch system that will address the challenges of loading and unloading supplies in Arctic and harsh offshore operating environments. The Honourable Susan Sullivan, Minister Responsible for RDC, made the announcement today at the Rolls-Royce facility in Mount Pearl.
"Companies like Rolls-Royce recognize Newfoundland and Labrador as a leader in R&D and in the advancement of the innovative technologies required for harsh operating environments. Our research and development capacity and skilled labour force are well known globally and have elevated our position as a world leader in offshore operations. I am pleased that RDC's investment of $300,000 will support making our offshore industry safer, which is paramount."
- The Honourable Susan Sullivan, Minister of Innovation, Business and Rural Development and Minister Responsible for the Research & Development Corporation
Rolls-Royce's intelligent winch system will help improve the safety of offshore oil and gas workers and increase availability of cargo transfer opportunities. Rolls-Royce has been operating in Canada since 1947 and currently has over 1,400 employees working in eight offices and facilities throughout Canada. The company opened an office and warehouse facility in Mount Pearl in September 2009.
"Investing in R&D projects in priority sectors, such as oil and gas and ocean technology, is imperative to achieving long-term economic growth in this province. An intelligent winch system would have a significant impact on increasing the number of operational days which cargo can be transferred to and from the supply vessels and the platform while increasing safety of personnel working on those vessels."
- Glenn Janes, CEO, Research & Development Corporation
RDC is a provincial Crown corporation responsible for improving Newfoundland and Labrador's research and development performance. RDC works with research and development stakeholders including business, academia and government agencies and departments to make strategic investments in people, R&D opportunities, and infrastructure.
- RDC and Rolls-Royce Canada Limited and its industry partners are collaboratively investing in the development of a new intelligent winch system to address the challenges of operating in harsh offshore environments.
- The total value of the project is $951,950, including $300,000 from RDC.
- Rolls-Royce is developing the intelligent winch system in order to improve the safety of offshore oil and gas workers and increase availability of cargo transfer opportunities.
- Additional information on RDC can be found at: www.rdc.org.
SOURCE: Research & Development Corporation
For further information: Media contacts: Chris Flanagan, Director of Marketing and Communications, Research & Development Corporation, 709-758-1021, 691-1009, [email protected] ; Jennifer Tulk, Director of Communications, Department of Innovation, Business and Rural Development, 709-729-4570, 728-4104, [email protected]