NEWMARKET, ON, Dec. 6, 2017 /CNW/ - On Thursday, November 23, 2017, regular members, civilian members and public service employees of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) "O" Division, were recognized for their years of devoted service and continued dedication to the Citizens of Canada.
The recipients of the Long Service Award are men and women who have performed their duties in a manner which is truly "above and beyond." Their actions bring credit to themselves and are in keeping with the highest traditions of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
The award is presented in recognition of all those occasions where the recipient had to display courage, tenacity, patience and good judgement and honour all those actions that make up a long career of exemplary service and good conduct.
In addition to the Long Service Awards, three other recipients were presented with distinctive honours:
Constable Sheldon Shah – Received a Commissioners Commendation for Bravery
Inspector Johnathan Ko and Inspector Donna Streeter – Were formally commissioned to the rank of Inspector and presented with a Commission Parchment which is written and signed by her majesty, Queen Elizabeth.
- Originally created by King George V in 1934, the RCMP Long Service Medal is awarded to Regular Members of irreproachable character who have reached milestones in their number of service years.
- The Long Service Medal is the oldest continually awarded honour within the Canadian honours system, and the first created specifically for Canadian service within Canada.
- The first presentation of the Long Service Medal was held in Ottawa in March 1935, in the Cartier Drill Hall.
- In 1981, the program was expanded to include Civilian Members and again in 2002 to include Public Service Employees.
- Regular Members, Civilian Members and Public Service Employees are recognized at the milestone of 20, 25, 30, 35, 40 and 45 years of service.
SOURCE Royal Canadian Mounted Police
For further information: Media contact: Sergeant Major Rob Akin, "O" Division (Ontario), Telephone: 905-876-9572