OTTAWA, July 5, 2017 /CNW/ - Introducing Odin, Orion, Osawaw, Oscar, Oceana, Olela, Orbit, Orenda, Otis, Olaf, Obélix, Officer, Ogilvie and O Canada, the 14 RCMP foals who now have names, thanks to the creativity of young Canadians.
This spring, to celebrate Canada's 150th anniversary, the RCMP's "Name the Foal" contest invited young people from across the country to submit original names starting with the letter "O". These names were given to 14 foals born at the RCMP breeding farm in Pakenham, Ontario. One winner from each province and territory was selected, and for the first time, one entry submitted by a school class was selected.
The winning names were submitted by:
- Haley, age 6, Wainwright, Alberta – Odin
- Rayne, age 10, Nakusp, British Columbia – Orion
- Bella, age 5, Thompson, Manitoba – Osawaw
- Drew, age 6, Hanwell, New Brunswick – Oscar
- Vanessa, age 9, Mount Pearl, Newfoundland and Labrador – Oceana
- Kinsley, age 5, Yellowknife, Northwest Territories – Olela
- Marykate, age 4, Halifax, Nova Scotia – Orbit
- Nanuq, age 9, Gjoa Haven, Nunavut – Orenda
- Owen, age 8, Nepean, Ontario – Otis
- Evan, age 10, Souris, Prince Edward Island – Olaf
- Manix, age 6, Gatineau, Quebec – Obélix
- Vadym, age 8, Kelliher, Saskatchewan – Officer
- Isaiah, age 9 Whitehorse, Yukon – Ogilvie
- School class entry: Grade 2, Greenfield Elementary
Summerside, Prince Edward Island – O Canada
All winners receive a 2017 Musical Ride pennon, a t-shirt, a set of 2017 Musical Ride trading cards, a horse and rider leaf pin, a framed photo of the foal they named, and a certificate signed by the RCMP commissioner. All but two of the winners will receive their prizes in person at one of the stops on the Musical Ride's Canada 150 tour.
"Seeing the excitement and joy on the kids' faces as they received their prizes in front of such big audiences was so rewarding for us," says Insp. Pat Egan, officer in charge of the Musical Ride. "We think the names the kids suggested are great, and we look forward to next year's contest, when the names will start with the letter "P"."
For more information on the contest, please contact Karin Parisien at the RCMP Musical Ride Branch, 613-998-0754 or visit the RCMP website at www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca.
SOURCE Royal Canadian Mounted Police
For further information: For media inquiries: Royal Canadian Mounted Police Media Relations, [email protected], (613) 843-5999