RBC Canadian Open field to boast star power of U.S. Open top finishers and other notable PGA TOUR players
21 Jun, 2013, 10:42 ET
Top-10 U.S. Open finishers Ernie Els, Hunter Mahan and Luke Donald will compete at the RBC Canadian Open at Glen Abbey Golf Club, July 22-28, 2013
Field to boast Canadian Team RBC members Graham DeLaet, David Hearn, Stephen Ames and Mike Weir along with Matt Kuchar, Brandt Snedeker and Graeme McDowell who all sit within the Top 10 of the Official World Golf Rankings
Two-time RBC Canadian Open winner Jim Furyk as well as PGA TOUR notables Vijay Singh, Camilo Villegas and defending champion Scott Piercy set to challenge for Canada's National Open Championship
OAKVILLE, ON, June 21, 2013 /CNW/ - (Golf Canada) - The forthcoming RBC Canadian Open is building momentum. This year's field will boast some of the best players in the world including a number of high profile players who challenged this past weekend at Merion Golf Club for the U.S. Open.
Among those confirmed today are three of the Top-10 U.S. Open finishers including Ernie Els (T4), Hunter Mahan (T4) and Luke Donald (T8).
In addition to Els, Mahan and Donald, Golf Canada and RBC are pleased to report that a number of notable names have indicated their intent to play the 2013 RBC Canadian Open. An interim list released today boasts names featured within the top echelon of the Official World Golf Rankings as well as the season long FedEx Cup point race.
Among the additional names confirmed are a number of Team RBC members such as World No. 5 Matt Kuchar, 2012 FedEx Cup champion and World No. 8 Brandt Snedeker, World No. 9 Graeme McDowell and two-time Canadian Open champion Jim Furyk.
Other notables include 34-time PGA TOUR winner Vijay Singh, three-time PGA TOUR winner Camilo Villegas and defending RBC Canadian Open champion Scott Piercy, currently the No. 40 ranked player in the world.
With many of the world's best players excited about playing for Canada's National Open Championship at Glen Abbey Golf Club, RBC Canadian Open Tournament Director Bill Paul credits the support of title sponsor RBC as a major factor in the interest being shown among the stars of the PGA TOUR.
"We're five weeks out from the RBC Canadian Open and very pleased with how the field is coming together," said Paul. "The strength of our field is a testament to the commitment of our partners at RBC in delivering a world-class event experience to Canadian golf fans and that's certainly what they can expect when the world's best player's tee it up at Glen Abbey Golf Club next month."
Golf fans at Glen Abbey will also be cheering on Canadian notable PGA TOUR players Graham DeLaet, David Hearn, Brad Fritsch, Stephen Ames and Canadian Golf Hall of Famer Mike Weir when the 104th playing of Canada's National Open championship kicks off July 22-28.
"We have worked hard with Golf Canada over the past six years to build a world class tournament that both players and golf fans will enjoy," said Jane Broderick, Chief Brand and Communications Officer, RBC. "I'm proud that we've assembled many of the world's top players, which includes our Team RBC members, to provide Canadian golf fans with a strong, competitive field to contend for the Championship title and I know they will be thrilled to watch this year's RBC Canadian Open."
Players confirmed to compete in the 2013 RBC Canadian Open include:
- Six-time PGA TOUR winner including 2013 World Golf Championships - Accenture Match Play Championship, 2013 Memorial Tournament and 2012 The Players Championship
- Currently ranked No. 5 in the world and No. 2 on the FedEx Cup points chase
- Five-time PGA TOUR winner and winner of back-to-back BMW PGA Championships in 2011 and 2012
- Currently ranked No. 7 in the world and No. 39 on the FedEx Cup points chase
- Five-time PGA TOUR winner including 2013 AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am & 2012 Tour Championship
- 2012 winner of the FedEx Cup
- Currently ranked No. 8 in the world and No. 3 on the FedEx Cup points chase
- Two-time PGA TOUR winner including the 2013 RBC Heritage and 2010 U.S. Open
- Currently ranked No. 9 in the world and No. 20 on the FedEx Cup points chase
- 19-time PGA TOUR winner and 4-time major winner (1994 and 1997 U.S. Open, 2002 and 2012 Open Championship)
- Member of the World Golf Hall of Fame
- Currently ranked No. 20 in the world and No. 76 on the FedEx Cup points chase
- Five-time PGA TOUR winner including the 2012 World Golf Championships - Accenture Match Play Championship
- Currently ranked No. 22 in the world and No. 13 on the FedEx Cup points chase
- 16-time PGA TOUR winner including the 2003 U.S. Open
- Two-time RBC Canadian Open champion (2006 and 2007)
- Currently ranked No. 28 in the world and No. 53 on the FedEx Cup points chase
- Two-time PGA TOUR winner including the 2012 RBC Canadian Open
- Currently ranked No. 40 in the world and No. 38 on the FedEx Cup points chase
- 34-time PGA TOUR winner including three majors and the 2004 Canadian Open
- Member of the World Golf Hall of Fame
- Three-time PGA TOUR winner
- Competing in his 9th RBC Canadian Open
- Currently ranked No. 1 in Canada, No. 102 in the world and No. 52 on the FedEx Cup points chase
- Competing in his 5th RBC Canadian Open
- Currently ranked No. 2 in Canada, No. 169 in the world and No. 75 on the FedEx Cup points chase
- Competing in his 11th RBC Canadian Open
- Currently ranked No. 3 in Canada, No. 294 in the world and No. 122 on the FedEx Cup points chase
- Competing in his 6th RBC Canadian Open
- Four-time PGA TOUR winner including the 2006 Players Championship
- Competing in his 16th RBC Canadian Open
- Eight-time PGA TOUR winner including the 2003 Masters
- Inducted into the Canadian Golf Hall of Fame in 2009
- Competing in his 23rd RBC Canadian Open
Canadians Earn Their Way to Glen Abbey
In addition to DeLaet, Hearn, Fritsch, Ames and Weir, a number of Canadian golfers will be attempting to qualify for Canada's National Open Golf Championship in the coming weeks. Among those qualifying include players participating in RBC Canadian Open regional qualifiers, Canadians competing on the Web.com Tour, players ranked at the top of the PGA TOUR Canada Order of Merit as well as the PGA of Canada Order of Merit leader following the PGA of Canada Championship later this month.
At least one Canadian amateur golfer has qualified for the field - Kevin Carrigan of Victoria, B.C. - who secured a spot thanks to his win at the 2012 Canadian Men's Mid-Amateur Championship.
Additional exemptions for Canadian amateur and professional golfers competing in the 2013 RBC Canadian Open will be announced in the coming weeks.
Golf Canada is also please to announce that nearly all 1,400 volunteer committee positions for the 2013 RBC Canadian Open have been filled. A limited number of volunteer positions remain and those interested in applying can do so at www.rbccanadianopen.com.
Grounds tickets for all days of Canada's National Open Championship as well as a limited number of premium ticket packages are still available.
Grounds Tickets (advance pricing):
Junior Grounds Ticket FREE**
Monday Grounds $20.00
Tuesday Grounds $20.00
Wednesday Grounds $20.00
Thursday Grounds $70.00
Friday Grounds $70.00
Saturday Grounds $70.00
Sunday Grounds $70.00
Anyday Grounds $70.00
** children aged 17 and under gain FREE ADMISSION to the RBC Canadian Open when accompanied by a ticketed adult.
Premium Ticket Packages - Golf Canada House (advance pricing):
These VIP passes provide a full week of grounds access as well as admittance to the exclusive Golf Canada House which includes a panoramic rooftop view of six holes at Glen Abbey including the 1st hole and driving range. Built to evoke a clubhouse environment, Golf Canada House is your on-course lounge and your front row seat to the stars of the PGA TOUR with passes including upgraded food and beverage choices for purchase, big screen TV's, reserved washrooms, individual daily passes, and complimentary parking passes.
Golf Canada House Single $300.00
One (1) individual daily Golf Canada House pass for each day, Monday to Sunday
Golf Canada House 2-Some $550.00
Two (2) individual daily Golf Canada House passes for each day and one (1) parking pass, Monday to Sunday
Golf Canada House 4-Some $1,000.00
Four (4) individual daily Golf Canada House passes for each day and two (2) daily parking passes, Monday to Sunday
ABOUT THE 2013 RBC CANADIAN OPEN
Part of the FedExCup, stars of the PGA TOUR will compete for $5.2 million (US) at the RBC Canadian Open, July 22-28, 2013 at Glen Abbey Golf Club in Oakville, Ont. Conducted by Golf Canada for more than a century, the RBC Canadian Open provides an opportunity for Canada's top talents to compete against the world's best golfers while also leaving a significant impact in the event's host community. The RBC Canadian Open is proud to support Ronald McDonald House Charities Canada as the event's official charity partner. Established in 1904, Canada's national open golf championship is the third-oldest national open golf championship worldwide next to the British Open and the U.S. Open. The RBC Canadian Open is proudly sponsored by RBC, Shaw Business, BMW Group Canada, C.F.F Stainless Steels, Molson Canadian 67, TaylorMade adidas Golf, The Glenlivet, PepsiCo, The Globe and Mail, Jacob's Creek, Keystone Dental, Jack Link's Beef Jerky and 5-hour Energy. For tickets or tournament information, please visit www.rbccanadianopen.com or call 1-800-571-6736.
RBC proudly supports golf around the world through high profile relationships with the PGA TOUR and Golf Canada. RBC is the Official Banking and Financial Services partner of touring professionals Luke Donald, Brandt Snedeker, Graeme McDowell, Hunter Mahan, Matt Kuchar, Ernie Els, Jim Furyk, Mike Weir, Stephen Ames, and Morgan Pressel. As the title sponsor of both the RBC Heritage and the RBC Canadian Open, RBC also supports emerging Canadian golfers through Golf Canada's grassroots developmental programming, their Canadian Amateur Golf Championships and high performance national team. RBC is one of North America's leading diversified financial services companies and among the largest banks in the world, as measured by market capitalization.
GOLF CANADA - LOVE THE GAME. GROW THE GAME.
Golf Canada is the National Sports Organization and governing body for golf in Canada representing more than 340,000 golfers at nearly 1,500 member clubs across the country. A proud member of the Canadian Olympic Committee, Golf Canada's mission is to grow participation, excellence and passion in the sport while upholding the integrity and traditions of the game. By investing in the growth of the sport and introducing more participants of all ages to the game, our goal is to be relevant to and respected by all Canadian golf enthusiasts from coast to coast. For more information about what Golf Canada is doing to support golf in your community, visit www.golfcanada.ca.
For further information:
Director, Corporate Communications
(800) 263-0009 x406
Director, Brand & Sponsorship Communications
(e) [email protected]
Share this article