OTTAWA, Aug. 12, 2016 /CNW/ - Physicians from across the country—including medical students and residents—will converge at the Westin Bayshore Hotel in Vancouver, B.C. from Aug. 21 to 24 for the Canadian Medical Association's (CMA) 149th Annual Meeting and General Council.
Among key highlights:
Pre-General Council events (Sat. Aug. 20):
- Indigenous wellness and Canada's health care system: The physician's role;
- Joule H2™—Hacking Health Design Day.
Notable sessions and addresses:
Sun. Aug. 21
- A new Health Accord for Canada: The physicians' vision for the future of health care;
Mon. Aug. 22
- Health consequences of climate change: A keynote address by Dr. James Orbinski;
Tues. Aug. 23
- Address by the Honorable Dr. Jane Philpott, Minister of Health;
- Valedictory address by current CMA president, Dr. Cindy Forbes;
Wed. Aug. 24
- Installation and inaugural address by incoming CMA president, Dr. Granger Avery.
Media briefings are planned for Aug. 22 at 12:30 pm, Aug. 23 at 2:00 pm and Aug. 24 at 1:00 pm (all times are PDT). Reporters may participate by teleconference by dialing 1-877-234-4610; code: 7962151#. Those attending in person are asked to register at the media office upon arrival at the Westin Bayshore (room Cypress 1).
A live feed will be available for key sessions as well as for live hits from the Westin Bayshore. A PEGAD has been left with the Vancouver TOC (604-663‑5439) for all CDN broadcasters to pick up HD-SDI circuit number S-99994. Pre-bookings are encouraged.
The Canadian Medical Association (CMA) is the national voice of Canadian physicians. Founded in 1867, the CMA is a voluntary professional organization representing more than 83,000 of Canada's physicians and comprising 12 provincial and territorial medical associations and 60 national medical organizations. CMA's mission is helping physicians care for patients. The CMA will be the leader in engaging and serving physicians and be the national voice for the highest standards for health and health care.
SOURCE Canadian Medical Association
Image with caption: "CMA General Council - 2016 Vancouver (CNW Group/Canadian Medical Association)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20160815_C8431_PHOTO_EN_751968.jpg
For further information: For registration information or to schedule an interview, please contact: CMA Media Relations, MediaInquiries@cma.ca, 613-806-1865