OTTAWA, July 20, 2018 /CNW/ - First Nation leaders and citizens from across Canada will gather in the traditional territory of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh in Vancouver, British Columbia from July 24-26 for the Assembly of First Nations (AFN) 39th Annual General Assembly (AGA) and the election for the AFN National Chief. Participants will gather under the theme "Working Together: Our Rights, Our Way, Our Future."
The three-day AGA and Election for National Chief takes place at the Vancouver Convention Centre located at 999 Canada Place. Voting for the AFN National Chief begins on July 25.
Current agenda is posted on the AFN website. Media highlights include:
- Tuesday, July 24, 2018
- Beginning at 8:30 a.m. to Noon (all times local)
- Opening Ceremonies & Grand Entry
- Address from AFN National Chief Perry Bellegarde
- Opening Remarks and Greetings:
AFN BC Regional Chief Terry Teegee
Chief Wayne Sparrow, Musqueam First Nation
Squamish Nation Councillors Dustin Rivers and Deanna Lewis
Chief Maureen Thomas, Tsleil-Waututh Nation (tbc)
Honourable Scott Fraser, Minister of Indigenous Relations & Reconciliation
- 1 to 4:30 p.m.
- All Candidates Forum – the AFN Chief Electoral Officer is responsible for the format and presiding over this open forum with all candidates for National Chief
- Wednesday, July 25, 2018
- 9:00 a.m.
- AFN Election for National Chief Opens – First ballot voting begins at 9 a.m. and is expected to close at 12 noon. Results will be reported to delegates. Second ballot and subsequent ballots commence if required.
- When the election is complete an Oath of Office Ceremony takes place.
- Thursday, July 26, 2018
- Beginning at 9:00 a.m.
- Opening Remarks by National Chief
- Honourable Carolyn Bennett, Minister of Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs
- Honourable Jane Philpott, Minister of Indigenous Services Canada
- Six Nations Chief Ava Hill and Families - Justice
- Honouring of former AFN Yukon Regional Chief Mike Smith by Yukon Regional Chief Kluane Adamek
- 1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Delegates discuss resolutions
- Closing Ceremony
Note: It is not possible to specify when the election for National Chief will conclude. Rules for the election of National Chief can be found in Appendix A of the AFN Charter at:
There is no fee for media to attend the AGA but media accreditation is required at Registration. Media are encouraged to pre-register by using the Registration Form at:
http://www.afn.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/18-06-05-AFN-Annual-General-Assembly-Notice-EN-update.pdf or by emailing your name and organization to the emails below.
A full agenda and information on the AFN Annual General Assembly is available at:
Information on related special and cultural events hosted by the British Columbia Assembly of First Nations (BCAFN) is available at:
SOURCE Assembly of First Nations
For further information: Monica Poirier, AFN Bilingual Communications Officer, (613) 292-0857 or email@example.com; Jenna Young, AFN Communications Officer, (613) 314-8157 or firstname.lastname@example.org; Don Kelly, AFN Communications Director, (613) 292-2787 or email@example.com