MONTREAL, Dec. 6, 2016 /CNW Telbec/ - As of January 2017, Quebecers will find local Quebec cucumbers on the shelves of 420 IGA, Les Marchés Tradition and Marché Bonichoix stores, every single month of the year. Distribution has already begun and will gradually spread across the province.
FIVE NUMBERS TO KEEP IN MIND
A year-round supply of local cucumbers has gone from dream to reality thanks to an ambitious agreement with the start-up Toundra Greenhouse.
- 2014: The year that Sobeys Québec signed an exclusivity agreement with the innovative Lac-Saint-Jean firm Toundra Greenhouse, while the venture was still getting off the ground.
- 420: The number of points of sale in Quebec where customers will find the cucumbers, namely in the three major Sobeys Québec banners: IGA, Les Marchés Tradition and Marché Bonichoix.
- 365: Quebec cucumbers will be available every single day of the year!
- 1st: The first official delivery was made on November 29, 2016, to the local IGA store in Saint-Félicien, much to the delight of its owner, Marc Desbiens.
- More than 100: The number of jobs created in Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean thanks to this initiative, without counting the spin-offs, estimated to be worth several million dollars.
Proudly grown by high-tech business Toundra Greenhouse, located in St-Félicien (Lac-Saint-Jean). Two varieties are produced:
- English cucumber: This long, thick variety is tender with imperceptible seeds. Perfect for gazpacho!
- Lebanese cucumber: A small, very crunchy variety that is perfect with dip for an appetizer.
WHAT IS THE JOY OF EATING BETTER?
In addition to promoting local entrepreneurs and products, this project has a positive environmental impact. The cucumbers will travel fewer kilometres from greenhouse to consumers' plates compared to imported cucumbers. And since it encourages Quebecers to buy responsibly, eat healthier food and cook more often, this agreement with Toundra Greenhouse perfectly aligns with the Joy of Eating Better movement that informs every aspect of Sobeys Québec.
"We're proud to have trusted, encouraged, and accompanied this local start-up by deciding two and a half years ago to purchase all the cucumbers we need to supply our extensive network. Today, everyone reaps the rewards of this agreement, because we're offering Quebecers a local product available throughout the year, and because Toundra Greenhouse is definitely up and running!"
Yvan Ouellet, Vice President of Merchandising, Perishables
About Sobeys Québec
Sobeys Québec is a subsidiary of Sobeys Inc., wholly owned by Empire Company Limited. The Sobeys Québec head office is located in Montreal-North. It operates various food banners including IGA, Les Marchés Tradition, Marché Bonichoix, Rachelle-Béry health food stores, IGA express, and several dépanneurs. Sobeys Québec's goal is to be the unrivalled creator of experiences that inspire Quebecers to eat better. To do so, Sobeys Québec chooses quality partners and constantly innovates to offer consumers better choices.
About Toundra Greenhouse
The result of a partnership between Resolute Forest Products and local investors, Toundra Greenhouse is a 35-hectare greenhouse complex located in the Saint-Félicien Éco-parc, to be the largest in Quebec upon its completion. Evaluated to be worth $100 million, the complex will produce vegetables every month of the year and create 400 jobs in the Lac-Saint-Jean region by 2019.
SOURCE Sobeys Québec
Image with caption: "Logo: Sobeys (CNW Group/Sobeys Québec)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20161206_C6751_PHOTO_EN_832450.jpg
Image with caption: "Logo: Toundra Greenhouse (CNW Group/Sobeys Québec)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20161206_C6751_PHOTO_EN_832452.jpg
For further information: For information and interviews: Laurie Fossat, [email protected], 514 234-0535