Support for regional export promotion organizations (ORPEXes)
MCMASTERVILLE, QC, Feb. 11, 2019 /CNW Telbec/ - Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions (CED)
The governments of Quebec and Canada will provide Expansion PME with $778,000 in renewed funding over the next three years to allow this regional export promotion organization (ORPEX) to continue assisting businesses in the Montérégie-Est region regarding the exporting and commercialization of their products and services on markets outside Quebec.
The announcement was made today by Simon Jolin-Barrette, Member of the National Assembly for Borduas, Minister of Immigration, Diversity and Inclusion, and Parliamentary Leader of the Government, acting on behalf of Pierre Fitzgibbon, Minister of the Economy and Innovation; and Sherry Romanado, Member of Parliament for Longueuil–Charles-LeMoyne and Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Seniors, acting on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions (CED).
Expansion PME will receive a non-repayable contribution of $360,000 from the Ministère de l'Économie et de l'Innovation (MEI) to carry out its export activities evaluated at nearly one million dollars. The assistance was granted through the Programme Exportation (PEX). CED has awarded a non‑repayable contribution of $418,000 under its Quebec Economic Development Program.
ORPEXes help businesses
- develop an international business plan;
- obtain information about exporting;
- organize their activities targeting the penetration of foreign markets;
- obtain a diagnosis on their export capacity;
- find out about funding opportunities for their export projects; and
- acquire specialized training.
"By providing increased support for SMEs in the Montérégie-Est region, we are leveraging their expertise and undeniable assets to enable them to succeed in foreign markets. Expansion PME offers companies a first-rate service that will allow them to compete within a context of market globalization. The main benefits of exporting are increased sales and profits, risk reduction through market and customer diversification, longer product lifespan and enhanced company reputation."
Simon Jolin-Barrette, MNA for Borduas, Minister of Immigration, Diversity and Inclusiveness, and Government House Leader
"We are very pleased to be able to support Expansion PME, whose activities contribute to the economic vitality of the Montérégie-Est region. The funding will allow exporting companies in the nine MRCs in the region to take advantage of the coaching services provided by this organization. We have full confidence in Expansion PME's ability to help businesses look to the future and prosper."
Sherry Romanado, MP for Longueuil–Charles-LeMoyne and Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Seniors
"CED is proud to have provided funding for the ORPEXes since their creation in 1990. Unique to Quebec, these organizations contribute, not only to the attainment of CED's global business commercialization and positioning targets, but also to the projected 30% increase in Canadian exports by 2025, an ambitious goal that the Government of Canada has set for itself. By focusing on the importance of innovation, this renewed funding will equip Quebec businesses with tools to favourably position themselves in a highly competitive global ecosystem."
The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for CED
"Nowadays, developing new export markets and creating a culture of innovation within SMEs is key to remaining competitive. The support from the federal and provincial governments allows Expansion PME to coach businesses in the region and offer customized services to help them achieve their objectives."
Isabelle Bittar, Director General of Expansion PME
"The experts at Expansion SME provide us—an exporting company that needs to be constantly innovating—with coaching to ensure our international competitiveness. The presence of the organization ensures the local support that is essential to the successful development of businesses in the region."
Nicolas Thuot, President of Expansion PME and President and CEO of Equiparc Manufacturier d'Equipement de Parcs Inc.
- Created in 2004, Expansion PME contributes to the development and sustainability of SMEs in the Montérégie region. The organization bases its activities on these areas of development: exports, innovation, and bio-food, via the promotional campaign entitled "La Montérégie, le Garde-Manger du Québec" [Montérégie: the pantry of Quebec]. The primary goal of the organization is to enhance the competitiveness of regional businesses in these three areas of development.
- ORPEXes (website in French only) support the regional offices of MEI and Export Québec in helping raise export awareness among businesses in their respective regions and in training and preparing them for export activities. ORPEXes also promote exporting among businesses.
- The goal of the PEX program (website in French only) is to raise awareness among Quebec businesses of the growth potential of exports and, subsequently, to support these businesses in the development and diversification of foreign markets.
- CED is one of the six regional development agencies under the responsibility of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development.
- For 50 years now, the Government of Canada has been actively involved in regional economic development in Quebec: half a century of concrete action targeting the growth of Quebec's regions and businesses.
- For more information on CED and its priorities, consult the 2018–2019 Departmental Plan or visit the Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions website.
- To receive real-time news releases from the Ministère de l'Économie et de l'Innovation, subscribe to the appropriate RSS news feed at www.economie.gouv.qc.ca/rss (in French only).
- Follow the Ministère de l'Économie et de l'Innovation on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube
- Follow CED on Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube
- Follow Expansion PME on LinkedIn
SOURCE Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions
For further information: Sources: Élisabeth Gosselin-Bienvenue, Deputy Press Secretary, Office of the Minister of Immigration, Diversity and Inclusion, Parliamentary Leader of the Government and MNA for Borduas, Tel.: 418-691-5650; Information: Jean-Pierre D'Auteuil, Media Relations Officer, Communications Directorate, Ministère de l'Économie et de l'Innovation, Tel.: 418-691-5698, extension 4868, Cell: 418-559-0710; Media Relations, Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions, Tel. 514-283-7443, Email: [email protected]