OTTAWA, May 22, 2015 /CNW/ - As part of the strengthened and modernized Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, 2012 (CEAA 2012) put in place to support the government's Responsible Resource Development Initiative, the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency (the Agency) commenced a federal environmental assessment of the proposed Trois-Rivières Port Facilities Expansion Project, located in Trois-Rivières, Quebec.
The Agency invites the public to comment on which aspects of the environment may be affected by this project and what should be examined during the environmental assessment, as detailed in the draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) Guidelines.
Consistent with the transparency and public engagement elements of CEAA 2012, this is the second of four opportunities for the public to comment on this project. All comments received will be considered public. Written comments must be submitted by June 21, 2015 to:
Trois-Rivières Port Facilities Expansion Project
Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
901-1550 d'Estimauville Avenue
Québec, Quebec G1J 0C1
Projects subject to CEAA 2012 are assessed using a science-based approach. If the project is permitted to proceed to the next phase, it will continue to be subject to Canada's strong environmental laws, rigorous enforcement and follow-up, and fines for non-compliance.
- The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency is seeking public comments on the draft EIS Guidelines for the proposed Trois-Rivières Port Facilities Expansion Project, located in Trois-Rivières, Quebec.
- The draft EIS Guidelines and more information on this project are available on the Canadian Environmental Assessment Registry website, reference number 80102.
- Following this comment period, the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency will finalize and issue the EIS Guidelines to the proponent. An application period for participant funding and a future public comment period on the proponent's EIS will be announced at a later date.
- The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency administers the federal environmental assessment process, which identifies the environmental effects of proposed projects and measures to address those effects, in support of sustainable development.
- Trois-Rivières Port Facilities Expansion Project (Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency)
- Basics of Environmental Assessment (Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency)
- Responsible Resource Development (Canada's Economic Action Plan)
Follow us on Twitter: @CEAA_ACEE
SOURCE Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
For further information: Ted Laking, Director of Communications, Office of the Minister of the Environment, 819-997-1441; Mathieu Saintonge, Communications Advisor, Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency, 613-957-0493, [email protected]