OTTAWA, April 28, 2014 /CNW/ - The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency invites the public to comment on the Addendum to the Comprehensive Study Report (the Kitsault Addendum Report) for the Kitsault Mine Project, located in British Columbia. The Kitsault Addendum Report focuses on the Agency's environmental assessment for the replacement of the Nass River Bridge, located on the mine's access road.
This is the final comment period on the environmental assessment of this project. All comments received will be considered public. Written comments must be submitted by May 18, 2014 to:
Kitsault Mine Project
Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
410-701 West Georgia Street
Vancouver, British Columbia V7Y 1C6
This project is being assessed using a science-based approach under the former Canadian Environmental Assessment Act. The project is also subject to requirements under the Nisga'a Final Agreement (NFA), a modern treaty signed by the governments of Canada, British Columbia, and the Nisga'a Nation. Canada is committed to fulfilling its obligations under the NFA before any final decisions on the project are made.
- The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency is seeking public comments on the Kitsault Addendum Report for the replacement of the Nass River Bridge, located on the proposed Kitsault Mine Project's access road, in British Columbia. The Kitsault Addendum Report and more information on this project are available on the Canadian Environmental Assessment Registry website, reference number 57958.
- Following this public comment period, the Minister of the Environment will take into consideration the Kitsault Addendum Report and the Comprehensive Study Report, along with comments received from the public and Aboriginal groups on both documents, and issue an environmental assessment decision statement.
- The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency administers the federal environmental assessment process, which identifies the environmental effects of proposed projects and measures to address those effects, in support of sustainable development.
- Kitsault Mine Project (Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency)
- Nisga'a Final Agreement (Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada)
SOURCE: Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
For further information: Ted Laking, Director of Communications, Office of the Minister of the Environment, 819-997-1441; Karen Fish, Communications Advisor, Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency, 613-957-0278, Karen.Fish@ceaa-acee.gc.ca