OTTAWA, July 4, 2014 /CNW Telbec/ - As part of the strengthened and modernized Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, 2012 (CEAA 2012) put in place to support the government's Responsible Resource Development Initiative, the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency must decide whether a federal environmental assessment is required for the proposed Fort Saskatchewan Rail Facility Project, located in Alberta.
To assist it in making its decision, the Agency is seeking comments from the public on the project and its potential effects on the environment. All comments received will be considered public. Written comments must be submitted by July 24, 2014 to:
Fort Saskatchewan Rail Facility Project
Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
1145-9700 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4C3
Projects subject to CEAA 2012 are assessed using a science-based approach. If the project is permitted to proceed to the next phase, it will continue to be subject to Canada's strong environmental laws, rigorous enforcement and follow-up, and fines for non-compliance.
- The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency is seeking public comments on the summary of the project description for the proposed Fort Saskatchewan Rail Facility Project, located in Alberta. The summary of the project description and more information on this project are available on the Canadian Environmental Assessment Registry website, reference number 80074.
- The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency will post a decision on its website stating whether an environmental assessment is required. If it is determined that an environmental assessment is required, the public will have three more opportunities to comment on this project, consistent with the transparency and public engagement elements of CEAA 2012.
- The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency administers the federal environmental assessment process, which identifies the environmental effects of proposed projects and measures to address those effects, in support of sustainable development.
- Fort Saskatchewan Rail Facility Project (Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency)
- Basics of Environmental Assessment (Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency)
- Responsible Resource Development (Canada's Economic Action Plan)
SOURCE: Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
For further information: Ted Laking, Director of Communications, Office of the Minister of the Environment, 819-997-1441; Isabelle Perrault, Manager, Communications Operations, Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency, 613-960-0290, [email protected]