OTTAWA, June 2, 2014 /CNW/ - As part of the strengthened and modernized Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, 2012 (CEAA 2012) put in place to support the government's Responsible Resource Development Initiative, the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency is conducting a federal environmental assessment of the proposed Côté Gold Mine Project, located in Ontario.
The Agency invites the public to comment on the potential environmental effects of the project and the proposed measures to prevent or mitigate those effects as described in a summary of the proponent's Environmental Impact Statement (EIS).
Consistent with the transparency and public engagement elements of CEAA 2012, this is the third of four opportunities for Canadians to comment on this project. All comments received will be considered public. Written comments must be submitted by July 2, 2014 to:
Côté Gold Mine Project
Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
907-55 St. Clair Avenue East
Toronto, ON M4T 1M2
Projects subject to CEAA 2012 are assessed using a science-based approach. If the project is permitted to proceed to the next phase, it will continue to be subject to Canada's strong environmental laws, rigorous enforcement and follow-up, and increased fines for non-compliance.
- The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency is seeking public comments on the summary of the EIS for the proposed Côté Gold Mine Project, located in Ontario. The summary of the EIS and more information on this project are available on the Canadian Environmental Assessment Registry website, reference number 80036.
- Following this comment period, the Agency will prepare a draft Environmental Assessment Report, setting out its conclusions and recommendations regarding the potential environmental effects of the project, the proposed mitigation measures, and the significance of any remaining adverse environmental effects. A public comment period on the draft Environmental Assessment Report will be announced at a later date.
- The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency administers the federal environmental assessment process, which identifies the environmental effects of proposed projects and measures to address those effects, in support of sustainable development.
- Côté Gold Mine Project (Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency)
- Basics of Environmental Assessment (Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency)
- Responsible Resource Development (Canada's Economic Action Plan)
SOURCE: Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
For further information: Ted Laking, Director of Communications, Office of the Minister of the Environment, 819-997-1441; Sofie McCoy-Astell, Communications Advisor, Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency, 613-960-1519, [email protected]