OTTAWA, Nov. 10, 2014 /CNW/ - The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency (the Agency) is conducting a federal environmental assessment of the proposed Ajax Mine Project (the Project) located in British Columbia (B.C.). The Agency invites the public to comment on the revised Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) Guidelines for the Project, which have been updated to reflect changes to the layout and design of the Project.
KGHM Ajax Mining Inc. proposes to construct and operate a copper-gold mine near the city of Kamloops, B.C. The Project has an expected mine life of up to 23 years with a production capacity of approximately 60,000 tonnes of mineral ore per day.
The Project is subject to review under both the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act and British Columbia's Environmental Assessment Act, and is undergoing a cooperative environmental assessment with B.C.'s Environmental Assessment Office (EAO).
The public comment period will take place from November 18 to December 18, 2014. Information sessions will be held during the comment period.
Comments need only be submitted once to either the Agency or the EAO to be considered for both the provincial and federal environmental assessments. All comments received will be considered public. Written comments can be submitted to either:
Ajax Mine Project
Ajax Mine Project
PO Box 9426 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria, British Columbia V8W 9V1
- The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency is seeking public comments on the revised EIS Guidelines for the proposed Ajax Mine Project, located near the city of Kamloops, B.C. More information on this project is available on the Canadian Environmental Assessment Registry website, reference number 62225. The revised EIS Guidelines will be available on November 18, 2014.
- Following this comment period, the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency, in cooperation with the EAO, will finalize and re-issue the EIS Guidelines to the proponent. The revised EIS Guidelines provide direction and identify information the proponent is required to submit in its Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). A future public comment period on the proponent's EIS will be announced at a later date.
- The Ajax Mine Project is being assessed using a science-based approach under the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act.
- The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency administers the federal environmental assessment process, which identifies the environmental effects of proposed projects and measures to address those effects, in support of sustainable development.
- Ajax Mine Project (Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency)
- Environmental Assessment Office (Government of British Columbia)
SOURCE: Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
For further information: Ted Laking, Director of Communications, Office of the Minister of the Environment, 819-997-1441; Greg Leake, Director of Communications, B.C. Environmental Assessment Office, 250-387-2470; Sofie McCoy-Astell, Communications Advisor, Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency, 613-960-1519, Sofie.McCoy-Astell@ceaa-acee.gc.ca