OTTAWA, Aug. 16, 2017 /CNW/ - Canadian Pacific invites local media and the public to attend the CP Canada 150 Train community event this weekend.
What: CP Canada 150 Train event
When: Sunday, August 20, 2017 – 3-6 p.m. (stage show starts at 4:00 p.m.)
Where: VIA Rail Station, 200 Tremblay Road
Full event details, including on site activities, available at http://www.cpr.ca/en/community/canada-150/ottawa. Please add this event to your community events calendar and encourage attendance to this free show.
Note to public: there is no parking on site at 200 Tremblay Road. Parking and drop-offs are to be done at the RCGT Stadium (300 Coventry Road) and then walk over to the site via the Max Keeping pedestrian bridge. Attendees are also able to take Transit / OC Transpo which provides regular main line service to the event.
Media is encouraged to share our Facebook event page, where more details on parking and transportation are available (https://www.facebook.com/events/125543141337389/) and engage on social media @CanadianPacific using #ConnectingCanada.
Facts about CP in this city
- Soon after CP came into being in 1881, the company amalgamated with the Canada Central Railway whose existing operations extended from Brockville to Mattawa with branch lines to Ottawa and Perth.
- The City of Ottawa underwent a large restoration in the 1950s with the National Capital Commission which saw rail yards moved out of the city. CPR invested millions of dollars into the relocation project.
- In 1957, Montreal deemed Elvis Presley to be too controversial and cancelled his Montreal appearance. CP arranged for a special train to take his adoring fans to his Ottawa show.
- Today, CP employs approximately 125 at Smiths Falls, CP's closest terminal to Ottawa.
- Smiths Falls' Brooke Henderson is Canada's top-ranked female golfer and a CP Ambassador; she also has an uncle that retired from the railway.
SOURCE Canadian Pacific
For further information: Media can RSVP and send interview requests direct to [email protected]